ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie wants to know more bout his car

Hi all,

This is my 1st post so excuse my extreme newbiness :)

Ive just bought a clio 172 over the weekend with 17,000 miles on the clock and 1 previous owner. I havent really put my foot down on it yet, only up to about 4 - 5,000rpm. Well I let my mate have a drive earlier in it and the guy absolutely floored the hell out of it taking it into near enough the red, making all other cars look like they were parked, even a golf GTI, boy was i sh*tting my pants, I didnt realise how much oomph the car had!

I was just looking for some answers that would help me understand what the car is capable of and what procedures I should take to keep it up together.

1. Is it ok to drive it as fast as my mate did often?

2. Ive been using super-unleaded and normal unleaded, is that ok? or should I stick to the super-unleaded fuel?

3. My old car which was a Cavalier 2.0, used to be at around 3,000rpm when cruising on the motorway at 70mph, in the Clio its at 60mph at the same revs, is it ok to drive for long periods above 3,000rpm?

4. when I park the car up, theres crackling noises underneath the car. Similar to when you turn an electric heater off, is this normal?

5. Do you know anyone who knows less than me?!

Thanks in advance and any other tips would be really appreciated!

1) Yes And faster if you can

2)Yes thats fine it takes both

3)Yes the engine can easily handle over 3,000 for longer periods

4)Exhaust cooling down - normal

5)Yes, my girlfriend

Punto/Clio GTT

1: yes if you wanna get arrested, stay sensible, if you got someone on your arse then sure have a blast!

4: yes its colling down, exhaust i guess

5: no lol

Quote: Originally posted by cnic69 on 17 January 2005

1) Yes And faster if you can

2)Yes thats fine it takes both

3)Yes the engine can easily handle over 3,000 for longer periods

4)Exhaust cooling down - normal

5)Yes, my girlfriend

1-4 are all correct and LMFAO at 5:D

Da

Less

Welcome to the club mate!

Yes, so long as the engine is allowed to warm up first, and the speed is within the legal limit! lol!

2. Ive been using super-unleaded and normal unleaded, is that ok? or should I stick to the super-unleaded fuel?

renault recommend 98 RON so the super-unleaded is probably the better option.

3. My old car which was a Cavalier 2.0, used to be at around 3,000rpm when cruising on the motorway at 70mph, in the Clio its at 60mph at the same revs, is it ok to drive for long periods above 3,000rpm?

Yes, should cause no problems.

4. when I park the car up, theres crackling noises underneath the car. Similar to when you turn an electric heater off, is this normal?

No worries, this is the exhaust/catalytic converter cooling down from the high temps it reaches whilst driving.

No, lol! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Jon_1 on 17 January 2005

yes but get the car upto temperature before ragging the tits off it, also would be best until you know the car better and the roads arent as wet/icy/greasy to refrain from exploring the limits of performance and handling

it says use SUL on the filler flap so why use anything less. regular unleaded will not damage it though.

yup its fine

exhaust and heatshields contracting after being hot, totally normal so dont worry

yes theyre called W O M E N ;)

BMW E46 330i Touring

I would say that, whilst the car can take a ragging, you may want to refrain for a while until you know the car mate. If youre shocked by the oomph it has then be careful!

VaVa

To keep a 172 below 5000 rpm is like keeping a bird in a cage. Plain wrong. Give it death at every given opportunity. Youll get addicted.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

mate the 172 makes its peak torque at 5400rpm and peak power at 6250rpm. Engine only comes alive at 4500rpm so yeah, staying below those revs is like having a pool and only sitting on the first step...

So yeah provided the engine is warm (drive till the water temp gauge is half way, and then drive for another 5 minutes) you can drive hard as you like.

Also remember that if youre going to rag the tits off it, change the oil on a regular basis.

Used to have a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 18 January 2005

mate the 172 makes its peak torque at 5400rpm and peak power at 6250rpm. Engine only comes alive at 4500rpm so yeah, staying below those revs is like having a pool and only sitting on the first step...

So yeah provided the engine is warm (drive till the water temp gauge is half way, and then drive for another 5 minutes) you can drive hard as you like.

Also remember that if youre going to rag the tits off it, change the oil on a regular basis.

Does this apply to the standard 1.2 16v new clio also?

im just asking because a friend of mine has a fiat brava 1.2 also but his car accelerates like its no 1.2!!!!

Used to have a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by David on 18 January 2005

cant believe u let ur mate thrash it before you did! shocking.

yeah - i wouldnt even dream of letting my friend drive my new car like that! its kinda like letting your friend sleep with your new girlfriend and reporting back!!! ;)

Cool, I really appreciate all the feedback u guys have given me. On my way home from work today i gave it a bit of welly and u should see the constant smile on my face now :)

I cant believe i didnt get a clio sport sooner! I just wish it had a fanny so i can hump it j/k :D

Thanks guys

The funny bit is your shocked its faster than a golf gti,completely different league,ive had loads of cavaliers,sri,gsi etc and the 172 is way quicker than any,even quicker than my mates 220bhp turbo until 2 miles down the bypass!enjoy but be careful with it till ure used to the power.

1. Is it ok to drive it as fast as my mate did often? Yep so long as its warm the engine ie the temp gage has been in the middle for a few miles then its fine. Just be careful of the licence.

3. My old car which was a Cavalier 2.0, used to be at around 3,000rpm when cruising on the motorway at 70mph, in the Clio its at 60mph at the same revs, is it ok to drive for long periods above 3,000rpm? No problem just the noise the Clio not exactly designed for the motorway cruise thats why the gearings like it is.

4. when I park the car up, theres crackling noises underneath the car. Similar to when you turn an electric heater off, is this normal? Just the metal exhaust cooling off.

Used to have a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 18 January 2005

you can drive any car at constant high revs as long as you service it regularly

thanks ICEBLUE...im gonna see what my 1.2 can do this weekend! open her up for the first time...heh..might try and impress a friend of mine who thinks his fiat 1.2 P reg is quick! :D

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by muscleflex on 18 January 2005

what about my question of is it possible to drive a clio 1.2 the same as a 182? ie high revs?
Yep the same applies, but you gotta keep her well maintained, so regular oil changes (at least one between regular services).

You will have to remember though that youre in a 1.2 and not a 2.0 so peak power and torque will occur at different (usually meaning lower) rpm.

While were on the subject, when i had a 1.4 16v Clio I had to keep her on the boil if I wanted to rag her...so keeping it at 4k rpm is fine

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by muscleflex on 18 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by David on 18 January 2005

cant believe u let ur mate thrash it before you did! shocking.

yeah - i wouldnt even dream of letting my friend drive my new car like that! its kinda like letting your friend sleep with your new girlfriend and reporting back!!! ;)
haha exactly

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by Jon_1 on 18 January 2005

Cool, I really appreciate all the feedback u guys have given me. On my way home from work today i gave it a bit of welly and u should see the constant smile on my face now :)

I cant believe i didnt get a clio sport sooner! I just wish it had a fanny so i can hump it j/k :D

Thanks guys
whatever floats your boat mate! :p with talk like that you will settle in no bother!

57 Ibiza Formula Sport

Quote: Originally posted by POW_Clio on 19 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Jon_1 on 18 January 2005

Thanks guys
whatever floats your boat mate! :p with talk like that you will settle in no bother!

tut, you lads are terrible! i should defend the female race with the above comments about us not knowing anything about cars, but since i dont, i think its best if i dont lol.

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 17 January 2005

yes but get the car upto temperature before ragging the tits off it, also would be best until you know the car better and the roads arent as wet/icy/greasy to refrain from exploring the limits of performance and handling

it says use SUL on the filler flap so why use anything less. regular unleaded will not damage it though.

yup its fine

exhaust and heatshields contracting after being hot, totally normal so dont worry

yes theyre called W O M E N ;)

ill there called women ill have u no i no quite abit about cars and i no a few otehrs that no some aswell and before u ask no im not gay