ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie with questions

First and formost.....hello:D

I have just sold my 306 GTI6 and I am hoping to buy a mk1 172 but have no idea what too look out for....i.e mechanically, bodywork etc. Could you lovely people please let me know anything that i should be wary off when looking at cars to buy.

Also....wil mk2 or cup wheels fit a mk1? & will mk2 rear light clusters fit a mk1?

Many thanks

Ad

Vee dub

HI mate, welcome to the club.

The MK2 wheels and The Cups Speedline Turinis will fit the mk1 172 yes.

Same for light clusters.

Cheers, Tom.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

prices vary a lot for 172s as the market is a bit funny for them at the moment. Plus some have a few extras onthem so people want more.

COlour of a mk1 also seems to change value quite abit also.

Take your time and yourll find one youll like

Renault Laguna Coupe

Make sure its had the proper service items - accessory belt @ 36,000 miles, cam belt if its more than 5 years old. Exhausts are weak. Also check for wheel bearing problems. Other than rattles and squeaks theyre pretty good though.

You can swap Mk2 wheels and light clusters no problem - they all fit, though the light clusters need a bit of electrical tweeking.

Welcome to Cliosport :D

Mini Cooper S sport

Welcome to Cliosport! Hope you find one you like.

I know someone whos been trying to sell their Mk1 172 for a while, eh Mikey? ;)

A silver Honda

Hello and Welcome.

The guy who owns it is usually on the Renault Sports Club forum. (Zed_x19)

Its been very well looked after and thats a bargain price IMO.

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 09 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by NinjaAd on 09 July 2005
I would ideally like a black mk1 but they are a bit rare.

Black is great, its no fun cleaning it all the time though!!

My 306 was black and a pain in the ass to keep clean but she looked so sweet when all polished up. Im liking your car mate, very nice :)

Golf R/Leon FR

welcome to the club dude

hope all goes well when buying your 172.

get it in silver like mine though!!!

Welcome to the club mate, dont know where you are in the country but I was in Wigan today and saw a mk1 172 in Yellow at a garage in Wigan. Looks good in yellow :)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

there ok just check for service history etc (aux belt/cambelt changes). other than that the usual like accident damage/repairs

Cheers guys for all your replies. Drop me a PM if you know of any nice Mk1s for sale ;) I have cash waiting and its burning a hole in my pocket......also driving about in a 94 Rover 216 is a bit :oops:

106 GTi

Nice to see you made it over here, I hope I didnt put you off the 206 Gti over on the PSOOC.

RS4

Welcome to the forum mate.:D

Both mk1 and mk2 look good, mk1s do look meaner but the mk2s are more sleek:cool:

either way mate well worth the price, but try and steer clear of high milers and a good service history is always a plus point

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay on 11 July 2005

Nice to see you made it over here, I hope I didnt put you off the 206 Gti over on the PSOOC.
Hi mate,

lol. you didnt put me off, i have always wanted a 172 but was considering all options within my budget........i drove a 206gti yesterday and lets just say that the 172 is going to be the way forward for me ;)

The 206 was far to girly....and the handling.....:eek:

Peugeot really lost the plot after the 205 gti, 106 gti & 306 gti-6 :(

RS4

Quote: Originally posted by NinjaAd on 11 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay on 11 July 2005

Hi mate,

lol. you didnt put me off, i have always wanted a 172 but was considering all options within my budget........i drove a 206gti yesterday and lets just say that the 172 is going to be the way forward for me ;)

The 206 was far to girly....and the handling.....:eek:

Peugeot really lost the plot after the 306 gti-6 :(

your damn rite, its on the hairdresser choise of cars, along with the audi tt

Meggy cabriolet

I may be selling mine :( due to the fact that my work are forcing me into a company car or i dont get a Payrise!!!!

Its yellow, with a twin stainless steel exhaust fitted 5 days ago, 2001 on a y and done 46,000 miles if your interested, tho I may not be able to part with it.......i love her FAR to much!

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by NinjaAd on 11 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by r-jay on 11 July 2005 Nice to see you made it over here, I hope I didnt put you off the 206 Gti over on the PSOOC. [/QUOTE]Hi mate, lol. you didnt put me off, i have always wanted a 172 but was considering all options within my budget........i drove a 206gti yesterday and lets just say that the 172 is going to be the way forward for me ;)The 206 was far to girly....and the handling.....:eek:  Peugeot really lost the plot after the 205 gti, 106 gti & 306 gti-6 :(

Thats why I now have a 182!

I thought you would be put off once you drove it.