ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newby to Clio’s, after info on the Cup

Hi all

Ive been looking to change my RX7 for something more economical to run (which basically means anything this side of the space shuttle), and have just been for a test drive in a Clio Cup.

Very nice, and pretty much what im looking for, but with the test drive, I didnt get the oppurtunity to exploit the handling, so wanted some opinions from anyone on here with experience in cars as to what the handling is like when the car is seriously pushed.

I owned an Integra R before the RX7, so know what really good FWD handling should be like, but didnt want to terrify the sales girl too much!!

More interested in what it goes like over B roads, pushing very hard, as I always end up racing my mates in Tegs and Elises, and dont want to be left trailing, but wouldnt want another integra, as hated the Honda image, and want the convenience of a hatchback.

Also after what the running costs are like, and average fuel consumption (althou coming from 12MPG, I dont care too much :) ), but want to have a sporty hatch that doesnt cost the earth to run.

Reliability and Renault havent gone together too well in the past, is the Cup reliable? and what things are likely to go wrong? It felt well enough put together, and no rattles or anything appeared.

Id be getting a new one, with the climate control (unless it adds loads of weight???), and after the test drive, got the price to 13k, which seems reasonable.

One last thing, has anyone had the Cup model through Winter? as not sure what stopping would be like without ABS.

Oh, another last thing, do they have an LSD?

Thanks, will be looking to sell my RX7 soon as poss, and I think the Clio is what im after, but obvuously dont want to buy a heap, so any honest opinions of the car would be welcome.

Cheers

Graham

PS: was also thinking Golf GTi, but recon it would seem bland againat a Cup.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

a golf what?

No lsd (this may not be a bad thing)

try and get a 24hr test drive

The cup is simply the best car for its money (brand new). It sounds like it would fulfill your needs no problem. Speaking of problems, us Renault owners still get them but you have a 3 year warranty to lean on.

I found the Cup nervous in the wet, just be nice in those conditions!

Great car straight out of the box IMO.

Lets see your RX!?

-Rob

Great car for the money, but have you thought about an import 172 for £12,000 and you still have the Renault 3yr warranty?

Still dont like the idea of no ABS on a car with that performance.

Cheers Rob, Im no stranger to problems, but am sick of them, so hopefully wont have to make use of the warranty.

Im about 70% sure, but still have a few nagging doubts as to selling my rex, its even had its engine rebuild, but they are mega expensive toys!!

Hopefully being 30 wont taint the image of the cup too much, its going to become known an old mans car if I get one :D

Heres the rex in all its glory:

http://www.evoposters.net/caralbums/RX7TypeR/Front2.sized.jpg

http://www.evoposters.net/caralbums/RX7TypeR/Side3.sized.jpg

http://www.evoposters.net/caralbums/RX7TypeR/Rear.sized.jpg

Its a Type-R, frighteningly quick, lots of mods, and shoving out around 320BHP, but running the beast is a real drain on finances, and Id like to have some spare cash to buy othr silly toys like a better mountain bike, and actually be able to fit a bike rack etc.

996 Carrera

Fantastic car - I am exceedingly happy with it.

The car was made for blasts through B roads, the handling is amazing though a bit twitchy when you really stamp on the loud pedal but nothing you cant handle if you hold on tight. Throttle response is also brilliant - it pulls from everywhere in the rev range, esp. on cam at 4500rpm.

Fuel economy is ridiculous. I get ~37mpg on average which is a mix of A/B roads, dual carrigeways and motorways. On the motorway at a steady 80/90 Ive gotten 43mpg.

The brakes are also fantastic. Ive been driving like a loon lately but I havent locked up yet which probably means Im not trying hard enough.

I have to agree with Rob that in the wet the car is a handful, but apparently the standard tyres are pants in the wet. A change of tyre might also help with tramlining and torque steer (fingers crossed anyway).

In short just buy one - you wont be disappointed.

And Id imagine you can get one for ~£12K so try and push your dealer a bit harder.

Right, Im off for a blast down the M3.

Your RX7 looks good mate, its quite coincidental that there is a RX7 thread in the off topic section!

Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make!

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by SideShowBob on 15 July 2003

Hi all

Ive been looking to change my RX7 for something more economical to run (which basically means anything this side of the space shuttle), and have just been for a test drive in a Clio Cup.

Very nice, and pretty much what im looking for, but with the test drive, I didnt get the oppurtunity to exploit the handling, so wanted some opinions from anyone on here with experience in cars as to what the handling is like when the car is seriously pushed.

The cup is on track every other weekend during the summer and as a matter of fact I had a very enjoyable tussle with a modified Rx7 on saturday. very nice man. The handling on the standard cup is more than sufficient for any road you will encounter. On track, I find the suspension too soft and the tail gets a bit twitchy, but there are several solutions to that ranging from £400 to £1500 for a Group N coilover setup. Will be trying the £400 solution soon and I believe it will be more than sufficient. Our friend James has kindly arranged for a cup racer to impart some of his experience and some of us are getting lower springs + some geometry mods. Will see later about the dampers. So in short, a very good handling car, but you will have to do some work if you want to have a go at your friemds elise/caterhams on track.

I owned an Integra R before the RX7, so know what really good FWD handling should be like, but didnt want to terrify the sales girl too much!!

More interested in what it goes like over B roads, pushing very hard, as I always end up racing my mates in Tegs and Elises, and dont want to be left trailing, but wouldnt want another integra, as hated the Honda image, and want the convenience of a hatchback.

on a B road, it will take a very brave/talented elise, CTR, integra to put much distance between you. With fairly low cost modifications you will be able to be slightly ahead of them

Also after what the running costs are like, and average fuel consumption (althou coming from 12MPG, I dont care too much ), but want to have a sporty hatch that doesnt cost the earth to run.

mileage in theory can be as good as 40+mpg. Normal driving is mid thirties and Ive NEVER managed to take it below 27-29mpg and thats after a full days on track

Reliability and Renault havent gone together too well in the past, is the Cup reliable? and what things are likely to go wrong? It felt well enough put together, and no rattles or anything appeared.

Long list of annoying little things that are well known to Renault and people on this forum, mostly little rattles etc, but no major mechanical problems. I would say the mechanics are sound, the finishing is typical Renault low budget, but hey youre buying a £10-13k car.

Id be getting a new one, with the climate control (unless it adds loads of weight???), and after the test drive, got the price to 13k, which seems reasonable.

£1k off is not very reasonable, thats just the cost of the aircon for "free" you can do better if you suggest youre walking away, or book yourself a demo car, with the added benefit that itll have a few miles on it. The engines loosen up massively after 4-5k. In this weather aircon is a definite bonus. Added weight is insignificant, power loss maximum a few percent points. up to you. Routing in the engine bay is just a tad trickier with aircon if you start modifying but no big deal

One last thing, has anyone had the Cup model through Winter? as not sure what stopping would be like without ABS.

Braking hard in the [very] wet is interesting. I have not been on track with it during the winter as Ive only bought it in April. Lack of ABS is not an issue, and for me a bonus for track use. The ABS cuts in nicely on the Mk1 172, but I often felt that on the Mk2 the ABS is intrusive and cuts in too early. If you ever want to take the car on track youd have to ditch the ABS from a 172. so the cup is perfect - at least for my purpose.

Oh, another last thing, do they have an LSD?

No and thats a big downside. Exiting a sharp bend under full throttle in second the cars searching for traction and a Quaife LSD would be a definite advantage. On the shopping list...

Thanks, will be looking to sell my RX7 soon as poss, and I think the Clio is what im after, but obvuously dont want to buy a heap, so any honest opinions of the car would be welcome.

It sounds like you want to have fun with the car, so I suggest you buy the cheapest you can - get as close to £10k as you can, even buy a late used one - then spend £5k and youll have a fantastic track day car, able to keep up with £40-50k exotic machinery.

Cheers

Hope this helps

Graham

PS: was also thinking Golf GTi, but recon it would seem bland againat a Cup.

yeah the lack of ABS is a total knee jerk reaction by some people. Ive not locked mine up yet and have spun the wheels once.

Only problem i have is when you put the power on you can feel the wheel pulling from side to side as they cope with the torque. Great fun and i tend to drive on the back roads now as out and out speed is not my thing anymore.

Clio 197

Side Show,

I think the Aussies car the WRX the Rex there. Youll have a lot of fun with the Cup, Im sure. Im picking mine up soon and fully expect it to be as much fun as my Willy was. I had an Evo 6 TM and the running costs doing what I like to do would have been astronomical.

And dont worry about stepping down from a powerful car. I have just as much fun in a Willy or even a cheap rental car as I do in a 911 turbo. In fact the little buggers are actually more fun because you have to work a bit to extract that last bit of their performance.

Get your arse over her and Ill show you around the ring.

Ed

My Cup just makes me smile every day.

Had a couple of 205GTIs, 2 Honda Civic VTis and a Golf VR6 in the past - cup is perfect blend of their respective strengths - great handling, noisy high rev power, and low rev torque.

Oh, and 34.9mpg average over last 5000 miles - average speed same period has been 31mph. VR6 gave me 27mpg, and I drove it carefully.

buy a williams £5000 for minter. coilovers for £500 ish

full stage 2 for bout £3000 - £4000 (cant remember prices). will whoop all over a cup and look tonnes better!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 15 July 2003

full stage 2 for bout £3000 - £4000 (cant remember prices). will whoop all over a cup and look tonnes better!
So £5000 for the car + £500 for suspension + £4000 for the tuning = £ 9500

I only paid about a grand more for my brand new Cup which I am collecting today and I know what Id rather have!

Why spend £9500 on an old car that you have to get modded to f*ck and will then cost a bomb to insure as a result, when for not much more you can have a brand new, fully warrantied Cup thats already rapid from the factory?!

yeah the lack of ABS is a total knee jerk reaction by some people. Ive not locked mine up yet and have spun the wheels once.

Correct, me too and forgive me if I am wrong but.............does the Maclaren F1 (fastest production car in the world) have ABS or not? I dont think so -I rest this case once and for all.!!.

The breaks on the Cup are superb

Yep - Cup brakes are superb. Drove my Saxo VTR again on Monday and couldnt believe how sh*te the brakes are :eek:

Ive locked up my Cup twice now - both times in the dry during emergency style stops. The first time was just as I reached maximum braking and there was a slight squeal, the second time was a slight skid. If you stamp on them, theyll lock...

Graham,

Is it ok if i PM you a few questions about your RX-7 ? its not as if i have clio cup to trade with, just a few questions id like to ask you about owning an RX.

?

KEEP THE RX7

Cups are fantastic cars but aint no tuned RX7

I swear youll regret it

Get a second job to pay for the petrol

It looks so shiney too

Dont do it man

Lol, cheers king stromba, but I recon selling the rex is a good option at this point, want a new mountain bike, diving hols etc, and a Cup would allow me to do a bit of all that.

Rockport, sure you can pm, any questions welcome mate.

OK SideSHowBob, but you make sure it goes to a good home. And i promise i wont say i told you so, when you miss that 320 BHP beast. :cry:

Why dont you just get a cheap runner? Spend a couple of grand on a diesel to get to work and save the RX007 for showing off. Running costs go right down and you dont put many miles on your RXheaven. Also if you got a limited milage insurance policy it would probably come down alot in price.

Cue hypnosis music . . . . keep the RX7.........you want to keep the RX7............dont sell it........keep the RX7...............

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 16 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 15 July 2003

So £5000 for the car + £500 for suspension + £4000 for the tuning = £ 9500

I only paid about a grand more for my brand new Cup which I am collecting today and I know what Id rather have!

Why spend £9500 on an old car that you have to get modded to f*ck and will then cost a bomb to insure as a result, when for not much more you can have a brand new, fully warrantied Cup thats already rapid from the factory?!

cause it would look soo much better and leave the cup for dead?