ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newsgroup help?

downloaded trial version of newsleecher, and paid for newshosting.com unlimited

connect up to download a file and getting 500KB/s instead of the 2000 i expected.. so thats 4mbit

done a speed test (only on speedtest.net so not very accurate) and its still showing 11mbps?

does that mean i still have 11mbps to play with? as the internet isnt slow at all

seems its not maxing my connection out?

ive disabled windows firewall

set up the servers to have 4 bots on port 80 and 4 bots on port 3128 (nhxl server)

help

Polo + Micra
try the ntl newsgroup server.(if you was on ntl before it went to vm)

see what you get from that.

news.ntlworld.com

argh now i cant log into newzbin as it has either not emailed me my password/my junk filter has captured it and i cant access my junk filter :(

right, back on newzbin

just set up newsleecher on other laptop, again directly to modem no router

and it did the same, connecting at 500kb/s

yet i can have a download through i.e from microsoft.com sat at 1.1mb/sec too so obv not maxing my account through newsleecher... is it because its the trial version or what

it says speed limit: none

argh

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
My downloads via VM were maxing out at 500kb/s yesterday rather than the usual 2.5mb/s I usually achieve.

Monaco 172 2/468
My downloads via VM were maxing out at 500kb/s yesterday rather than the usual 2.5mb/s I usually achieve.

That will be traffic shaping between 4pm and midnight i'd presume, same for most people on VM now

I've not used Newsleecher mate, but can you open more threads ? The account you've got will advise you how many you can open at once

I think you can use 12 or something like that, although it'll differ with each provider no doubt

Citroen DS3 DSport
This was when I first started using it last night and long before I'd reached the 3gb limit.

I usually use 8 threads within Newsleecher and get downloads fairly quickly.

That will be traffic shaping between 4pm and midnight i'd presume, same for most people on VM now

I've not used Newsleecher mate, but can you open more threads ? The account you've got will advise you how many you can open at once

I think you can use 12 or something like that, although it'll differ with each provider no doubt

yeah but i definately wasnt under traffic shaping.. this was at 6 am..

and its still the same now

traffic shaping is only 4-midnight IF you go over 3 gig DL..

plus i can still download elsewhere at 1mb+ while the newsleacher is running at 450kb/s so its not maxing me out :(

Last edited:
been emailing newshosting support

''

Guy wrote:

> hi, tried the 8connections on port 8000, still getting 450kb/s average and
> if i go to microsoft.com downloads i can download from there at 500kb/s
> still so that surely means newsleacher/newshosting isnt maxing out?
>
>
> cheers
> GUY
----

Dear Guy,

That's probably just the little extra overhead from using the NNTP protocol.
It's pretty close to where you should be.

Thank you,
Brent
--------

usenetserver offer a $3 3day trial, so to check the speed i just thought id go for it.

signed up to usenetserver and only getting 230kb/s from that!

if i activate both usenetserver AND newshosting server i get 700kb/s though!

(450 from newshosting and 250ish from usenetserver)

Citroen DS3 DSport
I was getting far faster speeds than those with Newshosting when I was with them. I'll test my Giganews account tonight and post my results here. Hopefully faster than last night.

Last edited:
ok sneeks, im at work tonight but when i get home at 6am.. im HOPING to see at least 1500..

as at 6am this morning i was geting a healthy 19mbit connection on crappy test sites.

Monaco 172 2/468
Guy, try changing your ports that you connect to them with. Their site will tell you what you can use, things like 8000.... maybe also try another client

Sneeks, thats as I understand it too mate, but the capping has screwed me over randomly too, even when I have been doing nothing..... it's gash :dead:

i tried 8000 yes as that had the least latency.. thats what the block at newshosting said anyway when i sent them my routretrace thing

i tried grabit client and that was even slower.

got an email off newshosting saying i should be on the european server and sent me a link, so ive used that

now at 5oclock, i was getting a sexual looking 2000kb/s, on either useserver or newshosting, left it on while i come to work and now an hour and half later and its now at 580.

im thinking the service has either gone back to being s**t
or ive hit the 3gb and theyve throttled me down to the 5mb
or i havent hit the 3gig but their fucked up traffic management system has throttled me anyway

however once this interesting article downloads then the computer will be switched off, and then i'll be at home at 6 to test it. by then the throttling will have stopped AND there wont be many people on virgin anyway...

have to see what tomorrow brings, if its giving me 500 again at 11am.. virgin will be getting a friendly phone call again.

Monaco 172 2/468
Sounds like that could have sorted it mate hopefully. I think their traffic shaping is still shafted, which is really surprising....not

I reckon you might have hit your limit hehe, only takes like 25-30 mins to hit your 3gb lol, damn this quick internet :cool: