ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newzbin2 now blocked by BT

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Absolutely awful news though, this is going to be just the beginning.

Personally, I may use this as a reason to cancel my BT broadband, I'm sure it must break contract some how??

Surely not being able to access the whole internet is somewhere in the contract? I'll be having a good look.

Edit: Although, how difficult would it be to move newzbin2 to another URL? Not very would be the answer would it not?

So surely, if newzbin2 are willing to, this could be easily got around?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You think I'd have any case to cancel? Not because of newzbin2, but if they start doing it to a variety of others, there's actually no point in me having 40mb fibre broadband...

I get the feeling this is like the beginning of the end, either that or invite only communities will go on the boom again.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
You think I'd have any case to cancel? Not because of newzbin2, but if they start doing it to a variety of others, there's actually no point in me having 40mb fibre broadband...

I get the feeling this is like the beginning of the end, either that or invite only communities will go on the boom again.

I think you'll have no case at all tbh. It's good news IMHO, I don't see why people should get away with illegal downloading.

Not everything on usenet is illegal though. I often use it to get iso's for things thats original media has been damaged argh. :mad:

I recon piracy could end up back with knock off nigel down the pub lol!

I doubt it. Depends what the terms say but I expect it will list something like they withhold the right to block explicit/illegal material etc.

You're right though, it's the beginning of the end. If there was a decent/fair alternative, I'd use it. But there's no middle ground. I don't want to pay £5 to stream a film or £12 for a digital copy. The sooner iTunes do an 'all you can eat' subscription, the happier I will be.

I've been using NZBMatrix for years now and it's just as good if not better IMO.

Still bad news though. The Internet isn't what it once was. Censorship FTL. Remember -self aware in 2012 :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The internet still is the only real place of free speech, it pisses all over the media etc with regards to what is able to be printed. Movements like this will just be the beginning of mass censorship - We'll be like China in no time (and that's what bugs me more than losing newzbin2)

I'm not surprised. I wonder how long it will be before the rest start getting targeted.

I wonder what exactly has been blocked. The URL? The server IP?

Surely Newsbin2 could simply create a different URL and change the server?

clio 16v
Yep because it will be difficult to get round the block. One day our judges might understand how the internet actually works. Until then people will continue to run rings around such pathetic laws.

There is just simply no point in doing it. The vast, vast majority of people who download this way will just move somewhere else and it's just cost the movie studios a big wedge of cash in lawyers to get a single site banned.

They need to take their heads out of their own asses and get in front of piracy and accept that things have to be cheap to stop piracy. It happened in the music industry and they ended up (after far too long) changing the way their business worked, made it fully available online at very low prices and now offering free (Spotify Free and YouiTube) or subscription services (Spotify premium). Offer me an unlimited movie subscription that I can use through ALL my devices without it being DRM'd up to my eyeballs and I will happily pay a tenner a month. Sky have already shown me that this system can work with Anytime+. If I want a film I will always check on there first and if it's available I will get it from there.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

This, and BT know this is the thing pushing its infinity.

If everything of this nature gets blocked then I'll go back to free super slow BB, as it does for CS and Facebook (except the JDM thread, fibre required for that)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I'm not with BT, but if my ISP blocks it then good luck to them.. I have a million ways around any block they put in place.

2.0 16v
I'm not surprised. I wonder how long it will be before the rest start getting targeted.

I wonder what exactly has been blocked. The URL? The server IP?

Surely Newsbin2 could simply create a different URL and change the server?

News article says BT are going to court in October to decide what they're going to do! Presumably take the website down.