ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nitrous oxide - discuss

to me it seems an easy way to make your cr quicker and knock a second of your quater time, the only downside i can see is having to fill the bottle up

great for drag racing

brilliant bhp / £

not just the peak power increase but the amount of in gear power you get from it is mad

sit at 70mph and floor it and the car just pulls like a train

my mate said when i was alongside him it looked just like it would when doing 30mph, then just knocking it down and booting it.

307 hdi (powered by derv)
put into consideration the other costs which will accumulate due to using nos. Engine rebuilds, drivetrain, etc etc

clioman said:
put into consideration the other costs which will accumulate due to using nos. Engine rebuilds, drivetrain, etc etc

lol.. been watching too much fast and furious i think

ran mine at the same as my cars standard power (so it was double standard) and my engine was fine, driveshafts were fine, gearbox was fine.

when i stripped my engine down it was spotless internally.. had less carbon build up than it would normally as the nitrous like 'flushes' the engine out cleaning all the crap out.

Mondeo STTDCI
Still a f**king big risk IMO. Plus you cant run it on a road legally, if you stack it big time you will get FUCKED.

Black 172 MK2
i would of thought if it was set up correctly and you didnt go too mad on the size jets you use it shouldnt cause you too many problems. I have thought about it for a 50bhp jets max and compaired to other mods it really is good value.

im sure you can have it set up in your car on the road just not switched on, correct?

VTR engine running 180bhp for about a year... (digital progressive wizards kit - the onyl kit worth having)

headless3.jpg

Dave said:
Still a f**king big risk IMO. Plus you cant run it on a road legally, if you stack it big time you will get f**kED.

wrong again. perfectly legal to use on the road providing your insured.

adrian flux will insure wizards of nos kits only.

next?

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
prolonged use and pop goes the weasel.

great for a quick increase in power and drag but a small bottle lasts a few minutes combined with purge valves and you'll be refilling everyday at £30+

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
Guy said:
wrong again. perfectly legal to use on the road providing your insured.

adrian flux will insure wizards of nos kits only.

next?

wrong, perfectly legal to have it installed on the road but not activated

Clio Dynamique 1.6 16v
This could be a very stupid question but I want to know.............

Is the power gain from nos, only gained when you push the little red button, or do you notice a gain all the time?

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
just when activate the system, think of it like being off boost, then activate and on boost

Black 172 MK2
its not best to run it like fast and furious ie push a lil red button. Its best to run it 'progresive' like the kit mentioned above. ie the more throttle you use the more nitrous that gets filtered through. I believe there are some kits out there that you can set it up so it doesnt kick in untill a certain rev when activiated.

looking for 172 cup
been thinking about fitting NOS.... just doing loads of research at moment and the digital progressive wizards of nos wet kits i think are the way to go, starting with 25 jets :)

Its usually activatd when you put the throttle to the floor and ahve the system switched on and the controllers inject the extra fuel and NOS progressivly.
Its a relitivly safe power mod but to do it right you need to often uprate the fuel pump and have it set up correctly plus its expensive if you use it a lot.
Still an extra 50hp etc is much easier to get and cheaper than tunning to get an extra 50hp.

If it goes wrong though and your using bit jets as Matt Black proved you'll go through engine quickly he went though a V6 CLio engine meting some pictons as the pump couldn't supply enough fuel and his 172 engined Clio went though 3 engines in total I think before he gave up with the 172 and stuck the TT in.

edde said:
Its usually activatd when you put the throttle to the floor and ahve the system switched on and the controllers inject the extra fuel and NOS progressivly.
Its a relitivly safe power mod but to do it right you need to often uprate the fuel pump and have it set up correctly plus its expensive if you use it a lot.
Still an extra 50hp etc is much easier to get and cheaper than tunning to get an extra 50hp.

If it goes wrong though and your using bit jets as Matt Black proved you'll go through engine quickly he went though a V6 CLio engine meting some pictons as the pump couldn't supply enough fuel and his 172 engined Clio went though 3 engines in total I think before he gave up with the 172 and stuck the TT in.

depends on the engine too.. the 172 engines arent the best for tuning are they..

mine and matts systems were both wizards of nos systems with minimax digital controllers, these have start percent, finish percent, and build up time settings. the maximiser does have a rev setting now i believe so it cant coem in till certain RPM

the higher the RPM the more power it can take so always best to have a progressive system to build it up either over time or revs

i used to arm mine but only put the throttle 3/4 the way till it got to about 4krpm then id put foot to the floor for the N2O to kick in. seemed to work well down the drag strip and it gave me reliable trouble free motoring with plenty of power.
i also had a wide range of jet sizes. theres alot of people out there who will set their car up in the winter, yeah alls good. but then when summer comes leaving the jettign the same - the bottle heats up and the pressure increases alot causing more n2o to get in there and subsequently the car running lean and bang.

bottle warmers are perfect for this, keeping it at the 900ish psi opimum pressure ensuring the jetting should be the same

edde - with regards the fuel pump issues.. thats why your supposed to do static tests with the pipe open ended pointing into a bottle to check the flow coming out is enough. when i set mine up i set it rich so it spluttered at higher rpm, then using the various jets i had began to lean the mixture until the spluttering stopped. some people just take a 'typical' jet setup install it and assume its ok but it could be running slightly lean and then eventually it will go bang.

i think theres far too many clueless people out there fitting it and not understanding it. not setting it up right, and not using it correctly and obviously its going to lead to failure.

as for the cases when it is under stress - the dicks on the rolling road kicked mine in at like 1500rpmish and i honestly thought it would have gone bang but it was fine.. lol i think the TU 8v's are very strong engines.
another suprise, i was running standard 1.1 106 driveshafts and they took the 180bhp - even when i had big heavy 17inch wheels on.. again another point i thought would fail.

Guy said:
depends on the engine too.. the 172 engines arent the best for tuning are they..

i think theres far too many clueless people out there fitting it and not understanding it. not setting it up right, and not using it correctly and obviously its going to lead to failure.

another suprise, i was running standard 1.1 106 driveshafts and they took the 180bhp - even when i had big heavy 17inch wheels on.. again another point i thought would fail.
Yep totally agree 172 engines arn't good £ for hp gains.

I agree that somoen who doen't know what there doing will make a mess the problem is there to many of them running round fitting them even ones with supposed good reputations.

Driveshafts are powerful its amazing how much they'll take before they go on you.

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
If you've got a decent kit like a Wizards one you won't be wasting gas with a purge valve. If you follow the instructions you'll be fine. It's not too hard to fit.

I wonder how many people here are speaking from actual first hand experience or just what they've read or heard? I've used it on my Fiesta and it's very good indeed, but an impending house purchase means I have to sell any non-essential toys...

Thus I have a kit and controller for sale? ;)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=150165

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Sounds like marmite to me...you either love it or hate it.
Very split opinions so far. Guy...do you work for wizzards of NOS or just technically minded? How come the kit came off eventually?
John

clio 1.2 16v (facelift)
i have a 1.2 16v clio, can really put new engine in so i was advised to put some nos in, will it make a difference, also what kits do u recommend, would like alot of torque,

ronny7787 said:
i have a 1.2 16v clio, can really put new engine in so i was advised to put some nos in, will it make a difference, also what kits do u recommend, would like alot of torque,
Yep a 172 converion can be done £1.5k+vat for the parts then labour to fit or take a week with the right tools and do it yourself.

Dubai182 said:
Sounds like marmite to me...you either love it or hate it.
Very split opinions so far. Guy...do you work for wizzards of NOS or just technically minded? How come the kit came off eventually?
John

lol.. just a bit technically minded and had my wizards kit for a while, fitted it all myself and set it up, spent a fair bit of time on the wizards of nos forum and theyre HQ is only 45mins away from me so ive been there a fair bit.
got rid because i put my older car back to near standard and wanted a standard 182. so sold the won kit to my mate and then helped him fit it to his throttle bodied astra gsi.

red cup - think most of the people in here are just speaking rumours or ''my mate did this'' etc like most do. like all the crap about it being illegal. why would adrian flux/grahamsykes insure it then? lol

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
im gonna get n2o installed while my cars off the road.is it illagal to have n20 fittings installed but no n20 bottle in the car?i only want to use the n20 for the drag days

you 'should' be ok to just have the kit installed but no bottle in the car for road use and i doubt the insurance would be a prob. if you do prang it just remove the n2o pulsoids and piping.
at least there wont be any bottle anywhere to raise any suspicion at the scene..