ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No of miles left in 182 once fuel light is on

I have just got my 182, could someone tell me how many miles roughly i would have left from when the fuel light comes on. My guess would be about 40 miles but thought i would ask people who have had the car for a while?

Also can you tell me how accurate the trip computer is when it says i have xxxx amount of miles to go before i need to re-fuel?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
I never let the light come on I alway fill up before, this prevents any unwanted dirt etc, getting into the engine.

BMW M3
msa182 said:
I never let the light come on I alway fill up before, this prevents any unwanted dirt etc, getting into the engine.

Not such a problem on a new car i think but would def help on an older car.

My fuel light came on in the middle of nowhere once (scottish boarders in the hills) and i drove gingerly for about 35 miles before i found a petrol station so would imagin around there. Was sh*ting it though...lol

No more clio's for me!
Is it about a gallon of petrol??????? So depending on how many mpg your doing? Mine ranges from 32 - 36.

Correct me if i'm wrong peep's.

i think it varies depending on the current state of driving..

i.e. if your driving like you stole it and doing around 25mpg its only going to show about 25 miles left on the light

ive had the light come on at various stages between 30 and 45 miles

172 Cup
interceptor said:
There aint a fuel light on the Phase 2 172 is there? (newbie question I know as I jus bought one this last week!)

MK2 172?? Yes there is a light.

SLK 350
Its the one that looks like a petrol pump funnily enough, learn your car ;)

Oh and if you want to test it, hold the trip computer button on the end of the stalk while you turn on the ignition - diagnostic check.

ant

yep.
you can pretty much ignore the "miles to go" readout.
as soon as the light comes on you get "----".

whats the point in that????? :)

Clio 182
the computer must need more than a gallen of petrol to work out how many more miles you can do, makes sense really....

ozzyo99 said:
Its the one that looks like a petrol pump funnily enough, learn your car ;)

Oh and if you want to test it, hold the trip computer button on the end of the stalk while you turn on the ignition - diagnostic check.

never knew this, whats that diagnostic check do?? light up every light and flip the dials round or something?

Woodentop said:
the computer must need more than a gallen of petrol to work out how many more miles you can do, makes sense really....

which is probably why it goes to --- at approx 35 miles..

My light came on when the comp said i had used 8.5 gallon, out of an 11 gal tank i should have had 2.5 gal left, at 33.5 mpg should have had over 80 miles left.

Elise/VX220/R26
you can change that value on the renault CLIP, hours of fun when you change your mates car to 4 miles before the light comes on hehe

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
My Cup would do around 30miles by which time I was bricking it.

I once came home, very late on a bank holiday monday, all the petrol stations closed and some 30miles from home the light came on. It was like watching Apollo 13 for the remainder of the drive. Heater off, head unit off, lights dimmed down on the dash, all electronic toys off and some very gentle driving and I safely finished the trip. It did take £40+ to fill it the next day!

172 Cup
I'd be wary of completely relying on the reserve light. Like many have said I've done 30+ miles with the light on but once (normal driving) I managed about 11 miles and the car cut out...

182... again!
I reckon the light comes on based on a float in the tank, otherwise surely it would always come on when the computer reaches a certain readout...say 40miles left!!

no because it could use the average mpg of the last 5 or 10 miles or something and work out when it should come on

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
i was running low on optimax once, and the miles left in the tank was 32, then it just went blank, leaving me no indication of how many miles were left!

Golf R/Leon FR
ive run 50 miles with the petrol light on before, not through choice i had no money to fill up till i got home!!!

RenaultSport clio 18
Haven't gotthe confidence n the fuel guage yet.the light came on with the computer indicating 80 to go then almost imediately "---". how unhelpful is that! I can get 370 out of my 106 no problems which puts the clio to shame!

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
I have driven 42 miles with the fuel light on, then filled it up and only manged to get 42ltrs in. So was still 8ltrs of petrol in there after 42 miles, and thats was doing motorway speeds. Think the trip counter is a bit of a rough guide.

172 Cup
mcoppen said:
I have driven 42 miles with the fuel light on, then filled it up and only manged to get 42ltrs in. So was still 8ltrs of petrol in there after 42 miles, and thats was doing motorway speeds. Think the trip counter is a bit of a rough guide.

I still find it hard to beleive these cars have 50 ltr fuel tanks. Even after I ran out of fuel I could only get 44 litres back in...

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
Lol. Yeah i have never manged to get in more than that. No matter how long i leave it always seems to be 10ltrs or so still in there. lol.

172 cup TT
Always go by the petrol dial... I had a spate of my speedo not working, which in turn effected the computer which made the "amount of petrol" display drastically drop every few mins, eventually getting the petrol light go on even when my analogue dial showed half a tank..

VaVa
My fuel computer is WAY more accurate than my gauge. My fuel guage is f**king anyhow. I can have a quarter of a tank in, turn my car off to go in a shop or whatever, come out and start her up again and I'm in the f**king red!! lol!!

I drive by computer and it's never let me down (yet). As soon as you see the orange light, hed for petrol.

I can't understand why the fuel light strikes the fear of god into some people. "You'll f**k your car up " blah blah blah

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Ive just filled up after the light being on for 15mls.
It took 44lts, so in theory it should have had 6lts left.

Dave

172 cup TT
lagerlout1 said:
My fuel computer is WAY more accurate than my gauge. My fuel guage is f**king anyhow. I can have a quarter of a tank in, turn my car off to go in a shop or whatever, come out and start her up again and I'm in the f**king red!! lol!!

Actually Lager you have a point there... sometimes ive noticed the guage be much different after a restart.. i think what i meant was when its REALLY low.. kinda 1 mil left between the needle and nothing :)

Also, this "running low on juice ruins engines" argument... Clios have a plastic fuel tank dont they so it isnt a problem?.... is it?