ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No pull in 3rd gear on track...

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Basically, what the title says!! I have just remebered this issue from last time I was at Castle Combe in the Clio. Coming out of Bobbies and the Esses was always a little tricky with what gear, as third was an ok gear to go into them to take it steady (I slow down a little for the corners so I dont over cook it!) but then coming out of it there was no oomph. Tried second as I wanted to be a bit more lairy and that was ok again, but you couldnt put the power down until late as you would just spin the wheels and would need to change half way around the second corner of each kink which is a bit of a no no I was told - gear change and break going into corners.

other cars I have triven around Combe (Mk 1 Fiesta with a 5 speed mondeo box, Triumph 2000 with a BMW box) were fine, easy to get the gears right. Is it just my driving/the car or anything that can be improved? Ideally it wants a gear in between 2nd and 3rd. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Basically, what the title says!! I have just remebered this issue from last time I was at Castle Combe in the Clio. Coming out of Bobbies and the Esses was always a little tricky with what gear, as third was an ok gear to go into them to take it steady (I slow down a little for the corners so I dont over cook it!) but then coming out of it there was no oomph. Tried second as I wanted to be a bit more lairy and that was ok again, but you couldnt put the power down until late as you would just spin the wheels and would need to change half way around the second corner of each kink which is a bit of a no no I was told - gear change and break going into corners.

other cars I have triven around Combe (Mk 1 Fiesta with a 5 speed mondeo box, Triumph 2000 with a BMW box) were fine, easy to get the gears right. Is it just my driving/the car or anything that can be improved? Ideally it wants a gear in between 2nd and 3rd. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Cant say I've had similar problems but understand what you mean, is the car standard ? Maybe a 98 Ron map will help? Evens the power and brings the torque in better imo, pulls a lot better from lower revs , so may help with the lack of umph low down in third

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing has been touched on the engine, apart from being serviced often. I do run Standard Unleaded in it and not the Super Stuff, read mixed reviews on the benefits of using it.
Will look at a different mapping, see what this can do. Low revvs pulling wouldnt go a miss, as sometimes if I need to, pulling out of 5th at ~50mph is a bit slow, and dropping to 4th/3rd is needed to get that oomph