ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nocking noise when pulling away

Hi all,

Ive started to notice a nocking / clunking noise coming from what seems like the front passenger side footwell. this is especialy loud if pulling away quickly. is this a common problem on the 172?

i dont want to be drivng it very hard if the driveshaft or someting is going to implode on me!!!

any one got any ideas?

Cheers

Octavia VRS
so it's happening when you drive straight as well as turning? My knocking problem was because of some bearing (sp?) on the front drivers side spring and only happened when I was turning

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Mines got a noise from passsenger side footwell area if i pull off sharpish, put it down to 17"s

"Navy" N17 TWO
I get a knocking or "rumbling" noise sometimes when the car is turning (full lock on to the right) - seems like the passenger front wheel or coming from that direction.

Not sure what it is...
....the car is "floating" on 17s but its not lowered - yet

I've had my 182 for 4 month, bought it brand new and i get that, i asked they garage and they say they cant hear it, but you blatantly can!!

2001 172,VW Touran
i have the same noise on my 02 172.It's been in to the garage so many times and they replaced engine/gearbox mounts.Mine only does when it spins its wheels(damp conditions).K-tec do poly stabiliser bush kit now and they reckon that this should eliminate this problem.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
it's probably the gearbox 'dog-bone' mount.

they go if your drive like a heterosexual, good man.

the mount is under your battery, take it out and have a look. sounds like it though.

as it's the point the engine moves the most they can break easily.

Octavia VRS
Tigger said:
I get a knocking or "rumbling" noise sometimes when the car is turning (full lock on to the right) - seems like the passenger front wheel or coming from that direction.

Not sure what it is...
....the car is "floating" on 17s but its not lowered - yet

seems exactly like the problem I had - got told it was something above the suspension spring

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Just got car back from 1st service, knocking is common prob something to do with top of strut modification needed, half a day to fix UNDER WARRANTY

Thanks for all the advice, I'll get my mate to have a look at some of the problems listed above, seems as tho there is a few things that can go wrong, and even when fixed, the noise is going to come back. the noise itself doesnt bother me, its the fact that it could break when im drivin and cause an accident. i have had the car looked at, by a mechanic and he said he ther wasnt anything wrong with it, but the noise is certainly there, you can also feel somting slot in to place when pulling away fast. hmm

Audi S3 225
i got this as well, i thought it was my decat cos i got the noise soon after getting it fitted! I changed the dog bone mount but it did nothing, im gonna check the mount under the battery.

It could be the driveshafts tho!