ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

noise from rear of car

Clio 4 :) 306GTI-6
so i did a few searches and i think i know whats wrong but as im new to renault i thought id ask as i dont want to spend to much money incase its not the issue lol

from the rear of my car there is a creaking/rattle. i thought it was exhaust as thats the kinda noise it makes (i still think its part of it) however last night i pushed down a little on the rear of the boot and the car went down, it didnt bounce and it creaked something awful. im pretty convinced this is the noise im hearing when i drive. is this the shocks?

car just passed a year mot on 30th Jan with an advisory on play in the front steering rack joint, no mention of the shocks.

next question if it is the shocks should i just buy coilovers as i wanted to lower it anyway

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
The exhaust knocking could be the rear exhaust mount, it has like a star of rubber in the middle that perishes so the hanger rattles around in the square of the mount

Sounds like you have a leaking rear shock. Have a look under car and both these should be fairly obvious.

Depends on budget regarding Coilovers. You can get a set of lowering springs and use them with the existing/new Renault shocks. The shocks are around £45 each and I tend to replace them in pairs. Lowering springs, from either Eibach or Cooskport on here are around £130

Hope this helps

hey G 172

thats a great help :) i probably dont want to spend more than the £200 so will go with the option of new shocks and lowering springs. I only plan to lower 40mm tops so dont think i will have a need for uprated shocks etc but if i was able to buy coilovers for not much more than £200 then id have done that option. I wont be using her on track, she will just be for occasional use, so want something comfortable to drive. With the exhaust i take it i can just buy a rubber yeah

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
No worries

You would be better getting new genuine shocks and a decent set of lowering springs then a budget set of Coilovers for that kind of money tbh

You can buy the rear mount separately and come with the rubber insert in. Some people modify them by using cable ties and nuts/off cuts of silicone in the mount to reinforce them. They're are designed not to be solid though

ah ok, i wouldnt modify it id end up making it worse. The car has a powerflow exhaust with a lifetime guarantee. i assume the mount is on the car and not the exhaust

excellent as soon as the snow decides to bugger off i shall have a wee look and see