ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisy top end when warm

Ph2 172
Hi guys, only had my clio a few days! haven't driven it much!

It's a ph2 172 with 80k on the clock. I bought it with a few problems that need fixing. Got it cheap so it's not too bad!

Anyway, when cold the car runs sweet apart from a lumoy tickover. When warm, it's a different story! It's like a diesel. I've read a few threads and I'm still stumped :S

I'm sure it's the dephaser but would like a few opinions on it before I stump up the money for a new one. Had the car up my mechanics the other day. He took the lefthand engine mount off to reveal the dephaser. I thought the noise was coming from there but he thought it was in the middle of inlet manifold. I was looking at the dephaser and it looked as though it wasn't spinning perfectly, almost as though it was spinning off it's axis. Is this what happens when they are knackered?

Please help!!!

:D

Ph2 172
Here's a pic of the engine bay. It sounds like the noise is coming from the centre of the engine. Not coming from dephaser at all.

ClioEngine.jpg

There's also a strange buzzing noise coming from the engine bay when the ignition is turned on. Is that normal? Also, one of the backs of the headlight is making a clicking noise! Bloody French electrics!!!

Here's a video of the buzzing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9hXMppnR4

Here's a video of the idling at cold -

(STIL UPLOADING!)

Here's a video of the engine after a short drive and idle totalling about 10 minutes. Totally different. Noise deffo coming from centre of engine -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EoFPW0ALQ

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
buzzing sounds like the xenon headlights, or atleast mine make that noise, or similar, does it do it when the headlights are off?

as for idling noise, mine doesnt sound that loud, theres a lot of different things it could be, try putting a screwdriver on different parts and listning with your ear against the screwdriver see if you can pinpoint it

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Fred on here had one of these noises. hes a renault specailist and he could even figure it out. his noise was like yours and it comes from the inlet manifold area

Ph2 172
Has it been serviced correctly and had the cambelt/auxbelt done?

As far as I know, yes, it's been serviced properly. I think it may be overdue a service so I'm hoping new oil of the correct grade will clear the problem. Cam and aux done 30k ago at the 50k service.

clio 172 mk2
my clio does exactly the same when cold its fine when it heats up it sounds like a diesel power is fine just noisy. i had an engine flush and then had correct oil put in fully synthetic about 60-70 quid a gallon and it still does it sounds like its coming from centre of head when i listen down a screwdriver. renault didnt have a clue and were going to charge 700 just to take rocker off and on a new head from k-tec seems like a good idea 600 quid at that price

Ph2 172
I'm going to my local motor factors on the way home to get some fully synth oil and filter. Also getting some hydraulic tappet flush to put through the engine. I'll post my results up later.

Will the noise do any damage tomy engine, or should I just run it like that?

clio 172 mk2
i have spoken to a guy at ktec racing and he seems to think that the noise could be coming from a linkage at the end of a con rod and reverbing up so that it sounds like it is coming from the head. they have one in at the moment that they are going to dismantle but not for a couple of weeks im going to speak to him again in the near future to find out what the cause is so unfortunately the repair could be quite expensive

Ph2 172
i have spoken to a guy at ktec racing and he seems to think that the noise could be coming from a linkage at the end of a con rod and reverbing up so that it sounds like it is coming from the head. they have one in at the moment that they are going to dismantle but not for a couple of weeks im going to speak to him again in the near future to find out what the cause is so unfortunately the repair could be quite expensive

mmm, interesting.

Well, I've changed tthe oil to 5-40 fully synthetic, also added a hydraulic tappet cleaner. Only driven about 5 miles but there is no change! If I rev it to 2k or over the noise goes away! Very strange!

Anybody care to comment?

Ph2 172
Just dropped the car off at my mechanics. He seems to think it's low oil pressure and therefore the tappets aren't getting a good/constant supply of oil.

I'll post up my results.

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
The buzzing you are describing sounds like the buzzing i have heard from the throttle body on mine. My ph2 172 did it as well.

Oops just noticed your you tube link. That deffo sounds like the noise from throttle body.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The buzzing you are describing sounds like the buzzing i have heard from the throttle body on mine. My ph2 172 did it as well.

Oops just noticed your you tube link. That deffo sounds like the noise from throttle body.

Is it normal?
Mine does this and has done ever since I've had it. No issues with it.

The knocking sounds more ominous.

Also sounds like a roller is worn or the power steering pump is on its last legs as there appears to be a whirring which rises with rev's.

172 Cup
not to put a massive downer on things but mine sounded exactly like yours and was performing ok still but when revs it sounded ok but when idleing sounded like a diesel!Basically i took engine apart with mechanic and we checked everything, i mean everything, basically, my oil was like sludge and the cams had all been worn away and basically just fu**kked! He recommended a top engine rebuild but instead i jst got a brand new refurb engine which was very costly but now is the fastest thing in the west lol! I spent hours and so much money trying to work out wht he was but that diesel sounds is identical to mine!

It may no be though so get it checked out but just keep it in mind!

Hope its summit simple!
Good Luck!

clio sport 172
Just my two bob but have you checked the Alternator
for a collapsed bearing? Sounds silly I know but mine
sounded like a bag of spanners and it was the Alternator
got to be worth sticking a screwdriver on it to see..

Ph2 172
Just my two bob but have you checked the Alternator
for a collapsed bearing? Sounds silly I know but mine
sounded like a bag of spanners and it was the Alternator
got to be worth sticking a screwdriver on it to see..

Thanks,

I'll try that. The alternator is at the left of the bay isn't it? The sound is deffo coming from the centre of the block. I'll post my results up when I hear back from my mechanic.