ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nokia Windows Phone

107 Track Car & C4
I've currently got a Galaxy S2, and have just over a year left on my current contract with Orange. I'm a bit bored with it and it seems to freeze quite abit, so I've been looking at getting a pay-as-you-go phone and putting my current SIM inside it. I've been looking at the Nokia Lumia 610 & 800 Windows Phones. I have fancied a Windows Phone for a while, has anyone got/or had experience with one of these at all?

Liam

Those are running Windows Phone 7.5. Newer phones running WP8 are now hitting the stores so you should hang on. Take a look at the new 820/920 if you are after a Nokia but both the HTC 8X and 8S are also stunning phones. I have a blue 8x on order from work but also ordered a yellow 8s for going out (slightly smaller, £239 simfree from expansys.

107 Track Car & C4
Yeah I have seen them, don't really want to spend anymore than about £150. Just want to see what they are like before committing to one on my next contract.

What are the main differences between Windows 7.5 & 8?

Pretty much lists the new features in this video

[video=youtube_share;SQZEkXCE_fY]http://youtu.be/SQZEkXCE_fY[/video]

If you just want to get a feel for it then 7.5 should be find as the tiles, people hub, pictures, facebook integration etc are all there.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a 610. Its ok, pretty basic but easy to use.

Seems pretty slow when running apps though.

Clio 182
I've got an 800. Get the piss ripped out of me by all the iPhone fan boys and girls, but I love the phone. It's not perfect but is the only modern phone that I've used that I can genuinely say is FUN to use. The interface is really nice and unlike anything else out there.

(No one will know how to use it if they pick it up either = no fraping :p)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
My parents got 800's recently so I spent some time setting up their email accounts etc. Good phone tbh, a lot better than the amount they sold suggests. It should have been Nokias saviour, but it's hard to win people back once you've lost their loyalty. Definitely a turning point for them though.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I've been running a W7 phone for near 18 months (HD7) and to be fair its a good bit of kit.

Not sure if to 'upgrade' to a W8 or go for an S3 come February!

Mito Sportiva 135
S4 is out in March...

Not sure to go for W8 or Android come my next upgrade, pros and cons to both.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'm leaning more towards the W8 now, the HD7 i'm running is fine for what i use, and just about to update to W8 on my laptop, so keeps it all sync'd up via sky drive nicely imo. IE 10 is supposed to be super quick on the phones also

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
worth noting Tesco are doing Lumia 800's for £130 pay as you go, or £115 if you spend £30 or more in store.

Amazon doing unlocked sim free for £150, just ordered my mrs one for xmas!

You should keep an eye out on HUKD for Nokia 800 deals. They're always popping up on there.
Think I read on there about o2 doing a special price for one day this week on them (I'd imagine as part of priorities advent thing)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive had a quick play with the one i got my mrs for xmas before wrapping it up! quite impressed, very smooth gui, web browser seems good, on screen keyboard is probably the best ive used. and in typical nokia style very well built and solid feeling, although for some reason the camera button feels a bit flimsey not sure if this has a dodgey one or maby they are all like that.

i didnt realise you couldnt multitask on it which was a bit annoying, i was downloading the latest UK maps which was over 200mb so i went back to the menu to check out the app store and found out it had closed the maps update!

Trophy #276
i didnt realise you couldnt multitask on it which was a bit annoying, i was downloading the latest UK maps which was over 200mb so i went back to the menu to check out the app store and found out it had closed the maps update!

This is a bit of a one off situation, downloading maps is about the only thing you can't multitask!

I've had my HD7 for over 2 years and got myself a Lumia 920 two weeks ago. Absolutely love the WP UI and the functionality.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I was looking at an 8X and a Lumia 920 the other day. Look lovely.

Do i need to be worried that the HTC ins't 4G enabled? I believe the Nokia is?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
only be the 18 months. More than happy with my HD7, due for replacement in Feb. Was going all out for an Android of some sort, but with being happy on W7 think i'll go W8 tbh

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Little experience of them myself, though Angry Birds Space played well enough on a work colleague's blue 8x!

He rates it quite highly, having come from the usual Android-based background. I'm still stuck in Bitten-Fruit Land though and probably will go for the iPhone 5 next.

D.

Its so addictive! I love it. Average about 500 points a game!

I'm awful at it lol. I think my longest word is like 5 characters. Don't think I have one of those "non verbal reasoning" brains!
Getting more used to it now. Much prefer the "people" app to native facebook and twitter apps. Think they're bit awful tbh.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm awful at it lol. I think my longest word is like 5 characters. Don't think I have one of those "non verbal reasoning" brains!
Getting more used to it now. Much prefer the "people" app to native facebook and twitter apps. Think they're bit awful tbh.

Yeh I like the people hub. Was a good idea.

Just needs a decent youtube app but there still at war with Google for that. Ha

Yea lack of apps is the only disappointment for me I think, now I'm quite used to it.
The fact you can't get a tile app with a clock on it, or one that displays the battery %.
But I doubt either of that's going to change what with windows 8 now out.

Not a 320d
You have to google for apps most of the time then when you click the links they automatically download. The nokia app world pannel thing is horse s**t

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yea lack of apps is the only disappointment for me I think, now I'm quite used to it.
The fact you can't get a tile app with a clock on it, or one that displays the battery %.
But I doubt either of that's going to change what with windows 8 now out.

the lack of battery % tile and clock tile was the deciding factor for me (not the main decision making factor, just tipped the balance)
I found it quite difficult to save email contacts too, it's really not very friendly for things like that.

I think you can get them both on windows phone 8, something to do with tile refresh times meaning developers could make them I think.

I find the Nokia Marketplace app fine for apps tbh?

I don't really get Wordament lol. Like I get what you have to do but I don't really get the point lol. Is the rank thats shown at the end of the round just for that round and resets each round?

Only other gripe is lack of notification bar like on android. So if you miss a notification you've no way of knowing what it was.
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express