ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non ABS - crappy tyres

172 Cup
The recent wet weather ive got a new found respect in the Cup - dont take the P in the wet. Sounds like a silly question but its my daily and ive a few jobs and want to sort my priorities. With the budgets up front its rhubarb. Proper crap. Planning on fitting some RS2'S...

The problems are with my tyres right, or are Cups crap in the wet regardless?

I know to pump the brake etc, just find the car utterly useless braking in the wet.

Any advice would be great thanks!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
New tyres and slow down.

I'd personally go for Rainsport2's.

You couldalso look at fitting winter tyres, but they are considerably more money than the aforementioned Rainsport2's.

LY R26
just drive to the conditions and brake early. I had a scary moment in the cup once, smooth road surface and standing water, I locked up travelling towards a T junction. Only just stopped in time, never again lol.

Oh and obviously decent tyres help, i had toyo t1r's on mine for a bit and they were s**te in the wet.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
T1R's are w**k.

Avoid budget crap and you'll be fine.

I've only locked the cup up once, when it was super greasy and the car in front made a sharp stop to turn off.

RB 182 195bhp
T1R's are w**k.

Avoid budget crap and you'll be fine.

I've only locked the cup up once, when it was super greasy and the car in front made a sharp stop to turn off.

I wouldn't say Toyo T1-R's were budget tires? I have them on mine and have had no problems, just drive slower in the wet and leave slightly bigger gaps so you can stop in time, drive too the conditions and the car

phase 1 flamer 172
Whats the particular problem with cups then, is it just the lack of abs, untill i got my 172 id never had a car with abs (been driving 40 years) just drive accordingly and fit decent tyres.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't say Toyo T1-R's were budget tires? I have them on mine and have had no problems, just drive slower in the wet and leave slightly bigger gaps so you can stop in time, drive too the conditions and the car

I wasn't saying they were, I was making a separate point. I don't like them due to their soft side wall.

If I had my way I'd have GSD3's on every car I drive.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
OMG, you're not using a cup in the wet over winter? Thats pretty dangerous tbh, no ABS etc. FailSport can offer all the parts from a normal 172 to convert the cup to abs if needed. I have no idea whether they would fit, but you could certainly try!!!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yep, stick some uniroyal rs2's on there. With the price that they are, I don't know why anyone would buy budgets.

As good as they are, they're not magical. Drive to the conditions.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
T1R's work well enough that if they still have a few mm of tread left on them and you are locking them up it means there is either something wrong with your car or something wrong with your driving IMHO, they arent amazing tyres but they certainly are NOT that bad.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
OMG, you're not using a cup in the wet over winter? Thats pretty dangerous tbh, no ABS etc. FailSport can offer all the parts from a normal 172 to convert the cup to abs if needed. I have no idea whether they would fit, but you could certainly try!!!

don't you do a 4wd sysyetm aswell?
a modular system that can be removed for summer and track use?

PB Clio 172
Wonder if you drive to conditions .... ?? If you crashed would you tell the copper that it was my tyres fault ?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Why pump the brakes? Sounds odd too me, unless you mean to clear the brakes as though maybe you hadn't used them
in a while E.G motorway driving etc.

Me personally, pe2's all round or a similar tyre. Check your pads/disks. Tracking to be checked, corrected And have a brake fluid change.

Evo 8 MR
Why pump the brakes? Sounds odd too me, unless you mean to clear the brakes as though maybe you hadn't used them
in a while E.G motorway driving etc.

Not sure if SRS?

As long as you don't buy budget's you'll be fine but you must drive to the conditions as said.

172 Cup
Santa's gonna be bringing me a couple of RS2's this christmas then thanks chaps. Tracking could be better too - ill get this sorted.