ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non Centred Steering Wheel

Hello,

Ive had this problem for a few months and ive had enough of it now :mad:.

When I had my MOT done by a stealer back in July now I asked them to swap my wheels around (back to front and front to back) as my front tyres were nearly dead but my rears we ok. Was only gonna use them for one track day then 4 new tyres were going on along with a wheel refurb.

When i picked my car up from the stealer my steering wheel was slightly off centre. I wasnt too worried at the time and i just assumed it was just the old worn out tyres i had on the wheels.

So now ive had the wheel refurb done and the 4 new tyres the steering wheel is still not centre.

Ive had the tracking checked at two different places and both say its exactly spot on. Also ive had all the pressures checked as well and all is good.

One of the garages seems to think that if i swap the wheels back over the steering wheel will sit back straight again, but im a little dubious to believe this, so i thought i'd ask on here.

Anyone any ideas what it could be??

Thanks in advance ;);)

Edit:- OEM steering wheel by the way

Last edited:
You probably need a fully geometry setup instead of just tracking. You know the one where they use laser alignment. Mention the steering wheel to whoever does it, they should be able to sort it out

Nissan 350z
Find somewhere nearby that can offer you a "4 wheel alignment".

Your typical wheel alignment QuickFit laser job wont cut it. You need a full alignment to cure this.
I used: http://www.alignmycar.co.uk to locate somewhere local that offers 4 wheel alignment using something called a Hunter system. Did the job regardless for my off centre steering wheel.

330i. E30 Touring.
Take the steering wheel off, and move it yourself!

As long as the car goes in a straight line, it's easy..

I thought the steering wheel could only go on in one position for the ESP? I.e. the column has a key so you can't move the wheel, never had mine off though.

If your wheel isn't straight after tracking corrected it is most likely due to something being bent.

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. My nearest full allignment centre is just under and hours drive away. Should I be concerned that it's a Toyota stealership??

Mark I don't think anything is bent as the wheel was perfectly centre before the wheels were swapped around and my tracking was only checked not adjusted as it wasn't even 1mm out according to both places I took it. And it's an 03 cup so no ESP to worry about either.

Cheers guys

Jap Box
Same problem here, had all of the tracking, allignment etc done and the steering wheel faces the right slightly.

I put it down it it being taken off before and its been put back onto the notches slightly off, not really bothering me and I cant be bothered to take the wheel off just to move it over really.

Nah it bugs the hell out of me. I think it bugs me so much because it was perfect For two years until the wheels were swapped around.
ive had i 182 4 years now only the last year i have this problem...the steering wheel has never been taken off it just went this way one day ...mine hands a bit more to the left, ill be looking into this myself too

Megane 225 F1
Mine hangs to the left ;)

In all seriousness, mine isn't lined up either and my steering can sometimes be all over the place. Deffinatly going to have laser alignment at my local place done asap.

ITB'd MK1
the wheel can only go on the column in one place. It's king splined.

To adjust it the track rods need adjusting to center the wheels, with the steering wheel held firmly in the right place. The alignment place i use has a jig for holding the wheel while adjustmants are made to stop this kind of things.

Nissan 350z
Same problem here, had all of the tracking, allignment etc done and the steering wheel faces the right slightly.

I put it down it it being taken off before and its been put back onto the notches slightly off, not really bothering me and I cant be bothered to take the wheel off just to move it over really.

Like i said in my previous reply. Your local QuickFit/Tyre Fitting laser alignment job does sweet FA for your steering wheel position they only bother with the wheels. It has to be a place that can offer full 4 wheel alignment.

330i. E30 Touring.
the wheel can only go on the column in one place. It's king splined.

To adjust it the track rods need adjusting to center the wheels, with the steering wheel held firmly in the right place. The alignment place i use has a jig for holding the wheel while adjustmants are made to stop this kind of things.

I stand corrected..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yes Mike, yes you do :(

Would the same apply Danny for a mk2 ph1 with an aftermarket wheel? I.e is it possible to put the aftermarket wheel on not straight?

If the dealership you are looking at on that alignmycar site is Vincents Toyota, I think its gone under.

What stealer did the wheels, Kings?

If the dealership you are looking at on that alignmycar site is Vincents Toyota, I think its gone under.

What stealer did the wheels, Kings?

No the toyota place is called Loders in Yeovil. But no one answered my phone calls yesterday :S. Yeh the stealership was kings. It only went there cos the idiot who had it first time round kept failing it on the rear brakes:mad:

Last edited:
I had my alignment done a couple of weeks ago on my Cup, but I wouldn't recommend the place that did it.

Kings, ah, have had some funny experiences there. I use Weston's Renault now, who aren't a great deal better.

I presume you are aware of why the Cup's usually fail the rear brake test?

I've also heard bad storys about the Weston branch. Yeh I know all about why the cups get failed on their rear brakes. The idiot who had it first time round obviously didn't and also didn't appreciate it when I turned up with the VOSA article in hand basically telling him he's talking s**te :mad: couldn't be doing with the hassle if I took it to another independent as I was doing a track day that week and needs an MOT asap so Kings it was just to get the certificate as there was nothing wrong with the car and it sailed through.

What alignment place did you use? Just so I can avoid.

Jap Box
Like i said in my previous reply. Your local QuickFit/Tyre Fitting laser alignment job does sweet FA for your steering wheel position they only bother with the wheels. It has to be a place that can offer full 4 wheel alignment.

Whats the rough cost on this? Not bothering me currently but when I get the front bushes replaced I mayaswel get this done at the same time too.

Golf GTD Mk7
id love to know how changing the wheels around causes the steering wheel to be out. Very wierd.

As Danny says the wheel will only fit on the column in one position due to the way it is splined. It's simply a case that whoever did your tracking hasn't got the wheel locked up dead straight when they've adjusted the track rods.

Some places that offer tracking and/or full geometry aren't much use, a bit like paintless dent repair or custom exhaust places it can all come down to the bloke doing the work on the day.

As Danny says the wheel will only fit on the column in one position due to the way it is splined. It's simply a case that whoever did your tracking hasn't got the wheel locked up dead straight when they've adjusted the track rods.

Some places that offer tracking and/or full geometry aren't much use, a bit like paintless dent repair or custom exhaust places it can all come down to the bloke doing the work on the day.

Was clamped dead straight both times. I looked myself both times to check

Nissan 350z
i feel like a broken record here but seriously, a full 4 wheel alignment not your local tyre fitter/Quickfit style "laser" alignment.

Part of the 4 wheel alignment is turning the steering wheel from bump stop to bump stop (side to side) which if done shows the steering wheel being off centre. Having some guy drive it onto the ramps, wiggle your wheel to his estimation of straight and then checking the front 2 wheels line up is NOT going to solve this.

Believe me i tried 2 different places and both of their alignments said "yep its fine" and both times it was out, i then bite the bullet and got it done properly which fixed it 1st time!

i feel like a broken record here but seriously, a full 4 wheel alignment not your local tyre fitter/Quickfit style "laser" alignment.

Part of the 4 wheel alignment is turning the steering wheel from bump stop to bump stop (side to side) which if done shows the steering wheel being off centre. Having some guy drive it onto the ramps, wiggle your wheel to his estimation of straight and then checking the front 2 wheels line up is NOT going to solve this.

Believe me i tried 2 different places and both of their alignments said "yep its fine" and both times it was out, i then bite the bullet and got it done properly which fixed it 1st time!

Alright calm down lol :clown: That's what I'm planning on doing just not had a chance yet to get over to a garage as the closest one is nearly an hour away.

Perhaps you have a lot of wear on components which is causing the movement.

On a previous car of mine my steering was straight. Had the tracking done for piece of mind and after that it drove like a pissed crab.

Took it back to the place and they said it was spot on alignment wise, and later it was put down to worn bushes.

BG FF 182
My Clio also drives straight with the steering wheel misaligned to the left. It brakes & accelerates in a straight line, so it never worried me. But I've read all tracking should be done with the steering dead centre, and mine has been aligned before my ownership. I've read it could be incorrect track rod meaurements http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...-straight-heres-how-i-centered-mine-pics.html

Anyway I'm going to book mine in next week with a Hunter system.