ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non-starter after Gearbox Removal

Clio 182 Trophy
Hi all

I've just gone through the pain of swapping the gearbox on my 2003 182.
The thing now won't start.

It cranks for a few seconds on most tries of the key (sometimes you get nothing, but most times you get a few seconds) but never fires.
It ran fine before the work started. The work has carried on over about 6 weeks so reasonably long time without a battery.
I have put a new battery in to be sure its not that (no change)

Details I have ascertained so far:

1) The immobiliser light is solid red. I think this means functioning correctly? I have also tried both keys.
2) The fuel pump does not prime. If I bridge the terminals in the relay under the bonnet it primes but it never does it on its own. Also, never 12v at the signal of this relay so the relay "switch" is not being demanded (from the ECU?). Also, when this relay is bridged, there is no change in behaviour. It still cranks but does not fire.

My thoughts are that maybe the crank sensor somehow got damaged? Is this something that can happen? Its bolted back in place and there is no adjustment on it so I assume it just sort of works. I also don't see why this would prevent the fuel pump from priming but maybe the priming is triggered from RPM?

Or could it be the ECU? Has that gone pop?

Or is it the dreaded immobilier?

Any thoughts from those more experienced gratefully received!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Solid red immobiliser light indicates a fault. Check the small relay in fuse box under bonnet has not been knocked out of place when removing the battery.

Clio 182 Trophy
the main earth strap by the gearbox still on? try putting a jump lead from the block tot he chassis to check

Thanks ! Will give this a go! Might be an easy fix!

Solid red immobiliser light indicates a fault. Check the small relay in fuse box under bonnet has not been knocked out of place when removing the battery.

Which one? There are three small relays (below the three larger ones)

Cheers

Clio 182 Trophy
Jump lead from battery to gearbox didn't change anything.
No relays out of place.

I did some playing around; if I bridge the middle of the smaller relays (injector locking?), the car will crank indefinitely (rather than cutting our after 3 seconds)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Middle small relay is the one. By joining the two white wires together it will crank as bypassing it, but the ecu is still locked and circuit not complete so not firing injector or coil.

Its prob lost sync with the key for some reason while batt is off, try turning ignition on and just leave it on for a few mins.

Ideally needs can clip to scan immobiliser and see whats going on.

Clio 182 Trophy
Its prob lost sync with the key for some reason while batt is off, try turning ignition on and just leave it on for a few mins.

Thanks! Will give this a go.
Is this the procedure for resyncing?

I thought if it had lost sync then the immobiliser light would flash, rather than be on solid?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Im not 100% on the immobiliser problems, but have had success leaving the ign on for a while in the past. Download the workshop manual all the info is in there and will point you in the right direction of what to look at.