ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

noob has fitted brakepads himself !

work for BMW
Well I am a noob when it comes to mechanics how ever it hasn't stopped me trying to learn as much as I can myself and hopefully one day I'll be fairly competent :)

Today I set out to change my front brake pads all by myself , I had my Haynes book ready and had watched some videos etc so I was all set.

I was pretty sure I would have some problems along the way as its a 15 year old car plus I didn't know exactly what I was doing but actually it went really smoothly and took me by suprise when I finished :)

I was particularly worried about getting the piston back in but that turned out to be really easy just a long screw driver and levering it back in. I had the brake fluid cap off and had to empty some of the fluid to make sure it didn't over flow.

The biggest problem was one of the retaining plates holding in the pads was pretty stuck, a bit of hammering and it was out.

I get the first pad out.
IMG_20130718_145101.jpg

IMG_20130718_155004.jpg

As you can see the old pads were pretty old..
IMG-20130718-WA0008.jpg

IMG_20130718_155540.jpg

IMG_20130718_171751.jpg

Then I decided I shouldn't stop there , I had some high temperature paint so I sprayed both the callipers and rear drums in black. I didn't want anything too chavy like red/yellow as its only a 106!
IMG_20130718_161434.jpg

IMG-20130718-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20130718-WA0011.jpg

Well over all I pretty chuffed I managed to do it all and I can't wait to continue the learning and attempt other things.
Next is refurbing the wheels to remove all the scratches and give them a fresh coat of silver.

Thanks for looking

FF RB 182
Something looks wrong to me in the 4th photo? Or is it just a shadow. Plenty of life left on those pads too should of seen my old ones haha.

Lotus Elise
The L bracket holds the pads in place with a small retaining spring on the inside. I don't know if you can get away with it as I've never fitted at the top lol.

work for BMW
The L bracket holds the pads in place with a small retaining spring on the inside. I don't know if you can get away with it as I've never fitted at the top lol.

Ah i called it the retaining plate ? well it was on the top when i took them out and its also at the top in the haynes book so should be okay:)

@plymcl172 - The clio is one of my old cars , The car being worked on is a peugeot 106

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
the plate needs to be at the bottom or the pads can fall out. also the tension clip nearest the piston is fitted wrong.

work for BMW
the plate needs to be at the bottom or the pads can fall out. also the tension clip nearest the piston is fitted wrong.

think i sorted the tension clip, in that picture i hadn't compressed the piston against the pad yet so there was still a bit of room. should be okay now but ill look tomorrow cheers for pointing it out

Well done Pal... I figure the best way of learning is just giving it a go! My first time with brakes was adding Corsa C 1.8 SRI brakes ( Calliper and carrier) to my 1.2

​Did both sides in like an hour n fifteen minutes which I didn't think was bad for a first timer!

work for BMW
Well done Pal... I figure the best way of learning is just giving it a go! My first time with brakes was adding Corsa C 1.8 SRI brakes ( Calliper and carrier) to my 1.2 ​Did both sides in like an hour n fifteen minutes which I didn't think was bad for a first timer!

straight into the deep end eh , good work!

Grats!

Tempted to dig the laptop out and find the pics of the brakepad/disc from one of the Renault trafics transfer vans I drove last winter season in France. Scraping... mmmmmm.

Edit: I dug the laptop out!

DSC00037.JPG

Last edited:
  Clio v6
Well done mate, good effort. The best way to learn is to chuck yourself in at the deep end. Stick at it and you'll save yourself a fortune over the years!

work for BMW
i have just managed to bag myself a day following a mechanic at my local small independent garage.. so excited :D

clio 182 black /gold
Good effort on doing it yourself. I did my mates Astra on Tuesday and they were a lot more worn than them. :).

Inferno 182 & Saxo
next step bleeding the fluid, or indeed better brakes - even up to VTR/S spec would be a good move in my move

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Ah i called it the retaining plate ? well it was on the top when i took them out and its also at the top in the haynes book so should be okay:)

@plymcl172 - The clio is one of my old cars , The car being worked on is a peugeot 106

It's on the top of my 106 aswell, it came out the top when I last changed the pads, so it went back in at the top, done 20,000 miles like that and never shown any signs of moving.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Those pads you've fitted appear to be massively thicker than usual, I think you've been supplied front pads for a small engined 106/205