ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob seeking advice!

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Hi folks, i've been on here a while just browsing checking out projects etc, im after some advice on wheres best to start re-guarding my future track car, not sure whether to go for a 172 cup or a 182? does the 182 come in cup form also? im after a standard phase two with low miles. had a look at the trophy but there a little to expensive for a track car, the idea is it shall be a track car first but still be road legal for attending trackdays and the odd blast about etc, we have another car for comforts but i've been looking to do this a while and now feel the time has come (getting old) the most important thing to me is braking/handling then once thats sorted it''ll be a little more power, future plans ia a caged, well balanced and good handling clio with 4 pot upgraded brakes, throttle bodies/head/cams/rod bolts etc and maybe a quaife box/gearkit in a couple of years or so, all advice is much appreciated, thanks nick--aberdeenshire

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
well thats one thing i do hate is abs when driving hard, noticed the prices also which are coming down, but trying to find a good low millege one which hasnt been abused isnt so easy, hoping to buy one after summer once i've sold the honda and got the gf a new motor, money,money,money lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
And they're lighter...significantly. The extra power was never really there in the 182s...maybe 5bhp more, but nothing that outweighs a 75kg deficit.

You need to buy mine - apart from the higher mileage (engines are pretty much bullet-proof so mileage shouldn't be a concern, condition and ownership history are far more important) it fits what you're after.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
As above, a decent 172 Cup is quicker, 182 although nice was a little bit of a con in the fact it was barely lighter than the normal 182.

172 cup = no air con, no creature comforts, no abs etc, great little track cars. Buy a decent base car and it'll serve you well.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
so if i did buy a 182 and remove the gubbins (abs etc), which i would be doing anyway there basiclly the same, also is there any difference in the suspension between the cup and non cup version, what is the overall difference from buying a cup to a non cup? its just that 182 in the non cup version seem easier to find, im waiting on a reply in regards to looking at a bog standard 172 cup next week, 03 plate on 38k with FSH in blue, only thing that would stop me is the price he offers me for my honda, which is obviously worth more than the renault, hope hes sensible then we will have a deal :)

Ibiza FR Edition
so if i did buy a 182 and remove the gubbins (abs etc), which i would be doing anyway there basiclly the same, also is there any difference in the suspension between the cup and non cup version, what is the overall difference from buying a cup to a non cup? its just that 182 in the non cup version seem easier to find, im waiting on a reply in regards to looking at a bog standard 172 cup next week, 03 plate on 38k with FSH in blue, only thing that would stop me is the price he offers me for my honda, which is obviously worth more than the renault, hope hes sensible then we will have a deal :)

Are you talking about the 182 cup or a 182 with cup suspension? You should have no problem finding a 182 FF with cup suspension as nearly 4/5s of all the cars took this as an option. Like everyone keeps mentioning though go for a 172 cup if it's for track. There will be plenty in the for sale section so just pay your membership and have a look, at least you know it will probabaly have been well looked after, and you can always scour back through the forums looking for potential problems etc.

I'd say go for a 172 Cup as it's lighter. But if you are ever going to tackle power with more than a simple panel filter change then perhaps go for a 182 Cup then try and shed a bit of weight from it or modify (not that it's a porker in the first place, by any means).

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Thanks again for all the advice, im defo gonna go for a 172 cup, its gonna be a long term thing over many years, which will get modified every year bit by bit, its something i've always wanted to do and now i finally can, although just bought a new house, booked a holiday in away to have a baby soon, oh in gf wants a better car (audi A3) im gonna have to spend a lot of time in the north sea over the next year or so ;)

Mini Cooper S sport
whatever, go do the dishes or something

LOL. When spelling fails, try sexism to make yourself feel better.

Anyway, aside from your literacy inadequacies, the 172 Cup is a good choice. Hope you can find a mint one.

172 cup, Impreza P1
LOL. When spelling fails, try sexism to make yourself feel better.

Anyway, aside from your literacy inadequacies, the 172 Cup is a good choice. Hope you can find a mint one.

Well Said! :lolup:

Speaking from experience, 172 cup FTW.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
cheers for the positive comments, i'll keep looking around for the perfect base, will probably buy one once i get my payrise later this year, another 14k a year FTW ;)