ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob... SLR Pictures

EP3 Civic Type R
Complete noob, full of trial and error, just trying to experiment and 'get to know the camera' as I've only had it 2 days. Full of HDR, I like this method, but again, pretty much a novice and trying to get to grips with it.

Any tips would be great, I understand these pictures really won't cut it with those in the know, but I'm willing to learn and listen to any help given.

One thing I am struggling with is dark skys in a lot of pictures (both edited and un-edited)- pics are large, sorry!!!

Please bear with me as I am only learning the ropes...

Cheers,
Michelle

LnvCfaV2po0L1iXx0503ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

47JjXJS0J47sCNBM3603ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

IkwlbXyFoJEolgYR7T03ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

JDunZbR1wqmJmawSCU03ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

2mLCfaV2po0L1iXx0503ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

p1IiMZxmKrCq0cac1o03ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

wCpjXJS0J47sCNBM3603ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

and one of my Doggy Max, who's been watching me take pics ALL day!

30KnZbR1wqmJmawSCU03ks3kskXL0003kskXLS0wwmq0a.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i think your relying to much on hdr...

its a nice thing to use, but only works in certain situations well...

seriously try not to use it but good work...

EP3 Civic Type R
I was waiting for you to come along hehe! See this is the problem with HDR, it's very 'marmite' I think...

The pics lower down are rubbish, too much camera shake- the top one was the last one I took after two days practice and I'm quite proud of that one

Malice- cheers for advice... it's only experimentation and I will try to lay off it now :)

Fiat Panda 100hp
I was waiting for you to come along hehe! See this is the problem with HDR, it's very 'marmite' I think...

The pics lower down are rubbish, too much camera shake- the top one was the last one I took after two days practice and I'm quite proud of that one

Malice- cheers for advice... it's only experimentation and I will try to lay off it now :)

Lol, I like HDR when it's done right, not saying that your pictures arn't, just not to my taste. Some example of HDR's that I love...

21.jpg

1.jpg

subaru_HDR_3_by_exxx2005.jpg

HDR_16___The_Eiffel_Tower_by_madsick.jpg

Taken from here.. http://www.digitalpicturezone.com/digital-pictures/25-hdr-pictures/ and here http://abduzeedo.com/20-beautiful-hdr-pictures-part-3

Rally bus
A couple of things I'd suggest....

1. Composition - eg first pic is good but I think it would've been better to crop out the grass/fence on the right and have the signs on the right and the figure on the left. Also get the full Private Fishing sign in rather than cropping the bottom of it. I've done a version of the pic with the right cropped a bit... and also the same in black and white which I think can look effective for that sort of scene:

fishing01.jpg

fishing02.jpg

2. Dark sky - what metering mode are you using? Sounds like you may be using spot metering. Trying the other mode (I've forgotten what Nikon call it).

3. HDR - only works in certain cases in my opinion, in most cases it looks fake so I'd avoid using it too much.

EP3 Civic Type R
Ben- only winding you up, there is no comparrison to mine and those pictures lol- I do understand where ur coming from.

Gary, some great tips. Thank you very much :)

EP3 Civic Type R
Did a few more today, most came out rubbish, but it's all an education! I like these two... spray can especially- just a shame it's not properly in focus... althought I like the contrast between that and the in-focus paint blob!

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg