ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noobie with some questions about an MY04 1.2 Expression

Porsche 996 Carrera
Good morning everybody,

I've got some questions that I'm hoping you can help me out with about my daughter's (new to her) MY04 1.2 Clio Expression.
CAVEAT - I'm fulling expecting to spend a bit of money on it! :smile::smile:
The car is mechanically solid - good MOT with 59k on the clock. No service documentation, so treating it a zero history (and servicing it accordingly).
I'm able to use tools so I hoping to have a play myself (and learn more at the same time)

There are a few quirks though (can you advise?) -

1. When people sit in the back - the fuel gauge goes nuts (and petrol light comes on). My *limited* understanding is that there's a sender under the rear seat and this could be the problem - not sure how to really fix it though.
2. Is there a trip computer on it? Fueling and travel range is a bit of a guess at the moment! The stalk (according to the manual anyway) has a trip button, but I've been caught out before - this may not actually do anything!
3. There's a manual sunroof - it all works, but it's a bit "rattley". Is there an adjustment on the mechanism? The whole thing creaks a bit, but I put that down to the hole in the metal roof :smile:
4. Is there an online parts manual? There's a few items of trim that could do with replacing.
5. Stereo - it's basic. Daughter wants her iphone in there for music and eventually satnav. I'm assuming the easiest method is a Connects2 steering column adapter and a new (up-to-date) single-din stereo......

Aside from that, it's a great little FUN car - I'd forgotten how great a low-powered simple car could be. I love driving it!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Can't help with the problems but in terms of Nav / stereo. A tomtom is probably the best option for the nav, the radio slot is quite low so if you had a single din with screen it would be unsafe to use.
Stereos do come up for sale on here with the correct adapters. It was an alpine radio that had the adapter to work with the high level screen.

Best of luck.

I know my brother had a expression and his didnt have trip computer but his was 2002 dunno if it changed later in production?

Porsche 996 Carrera
Thanks - c4pob: agreed - the stereo is a little low to be considered safe. Was thinking of a single din after-market job, with Bluetooth. I can then mount the phone in the tray on top of the dash (tasteful modification ;) )
BuCkLeY - thanks. I'm not holding my breath, but perhaps there's a database with spec for the VIN..... who knows?

Dan :)

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Thanks - c4pob: agreed - the stereo is a little low to be considered safe. Was thinking of a single din after-market job, with Bluetooth. I can then mount the phone in the tray on top of the dash (tasteful modification :wink: )
BuCkLeY - thanks. I'm not holding my breath, but perhaps there's a database with spec for the VIN..... who knows?

Dan :smile:
Look on eBay for a Brodit mount. I've got one in my discovery and it's really good. You can then buy the magnetic phone mount for a couple of pounds and the phone won't go anywhere. No need to butcher the top dash.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131472196734

Something like this for the magnetic mount:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232396663796

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Let's we if I can help :smile:

There is indeed a sender/pump under the rear seat, it screws onto the top of the tank and wiring runs across the floor under the rear bench. Possibly the wiring is caught and being stretched? I'd lean toward a wiring issue as it seems as though it's OK with no one in the back?

Can't really help with points 2 & 3,although may be worth trying something like a drop of silicone spray on the rubber seal around the sunroof

Parts wise I use Partsouq.com for looking up parts and then speak to Paul @renaultpartsdirect for genuine bits

Stereos again aren't my bag I'm afraid, I tend to use engine noise more :wink:

Oh and welcome along, all the best

Ads

Porsche 996 Carrera
THanks so much for your help - not had much chance to get back on here......... daughter's driving too much :D :D Such a great site though - there really is a wealth of information around here :)