ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

not a good start

Clio 172
OK, so after s couple of weeks looking for a 172 I ended buying this 1. It was mint, had good history ect and seller seemed a decent guy. Driving home, all seemed good. Pulled in at shell put some fuel in and couldn't believe how nice it looked under the forecourt lights.

IMG_20150330_150655174_HDR_zpsgflis2uf.gif

But then I got to my street, I went to turn it round and had no reverse, pushed it back and wouldn't drive at all. As you can imagine I was fuming! As I pushed down my street. So yeah, not a good start. Luckily for me the guy who I bought it off seems a decent chap and said he will get it sorted for me.

Let's hope it all gets sorted with no dramas. After doing a bit of research I believe it to be the circlip on the drive shaft. Had the same problem on my old valver. Only thing that concerns me is that if its worn the gear box like my old valver was which caused it to go every other month.

Hope my next post is a happier 1

Thanks gaz

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Saw this on ebay. Looked ridiculously clean! Shame about the box but once it's done at least you know it's good for a very very long time. Good seller to help out.

He's well within his rights to show you the door so I'd be very appreciative about the fact he's sorting it. Recon is about £300 plus labour removing/refitting.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
looks a very good example,im the same myselfm if i sold my cup and it happened i would sort it for the buyer as long as it wasnt imprezaworks who bought it off me :smile:

Clio 172
I am mate, very appreciated. I call it good karma as I sold a manifold recently and got destroyed in the post, p2g paid out £20 I put the other £90.

Tbf though I will work with him and if I can get the same job done cheaper I will.

Just need it on the road as soon as

Mec 350 slk manual
I am mate, very appreciated. I call it good karma as I sold a manifold recently and got destroyed in the post, p2g paid out £20 I put the other £90.

Tbf though I will work with him and if I can get the same job done cheaper I will.

Just need it on the road as soon as
If it's a box out job stick a new clutch in aswell

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Speedo increase in speed or does it stay at 0?

If yes, 100% diff circlip

If no, check drive shaft joints (inners and outers). Then, if they are all good and no joints/splines have stripped, it's going to be a box off to check the clutch sprung plate is intact and then to bust the gearbox open.

Clio 172
OK its a strange 1, as I release the clutch, there is a horrible grinding noise and if I release clutch completely it bites and moves. Feels awful

Clio 172
Just phoned Jones transmissions in Wolverhampton, guy there seemed very help full and seems to think the problem is the circlip and diff, so to change diff for new £300 which is done over a 24 hour period which I don't think is too bad.

Clio 172
balls i thought he was sorting it
Think he was hoping for a cheap fix, I have mesaged him only asking for help towards it. I've already got to spend my Easter weekend taking the box out. I'm also pretty sure he new about this problem. Just a bit pissed off, but want it sorting.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
true 300 is diff than a fifty quid bill,any way m8 dont let it put a downer on you.ive spent around 2k on my cup in last year and i dont regret it

Clio 172
Cheers and yes I know it will be worth it, plus can't expect to buy a French car and not spend money on it haha. We shall see, it needs doing and I hope he has the decency to help out as I paid top money as he said it was mint promised me that it was sound, then to not even make it home, I think I deserve a little help at least.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
agree,i spent loads on 205 gtis years ago all part of the fun,car had respray on front this week,courtesy car was new 100bhp fiesta,omg could not wait to get back in the old french shed

172 Turbo
Just phoned Jones transmissions in Wolverhampton, guy there seemed very help full and seems to think the problem is the circlip and diff, so to change diff for new £300 which is done over a 24 hour period which I don't think is too bad.

Give Agency Transmissions a call, I've never heard of Jones but Agency are rated on here, he does a lot of 172 boxes