ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not "Gelled" with 172Cup

172 Cup
I'm on my 3rd month of owning my Clio now. 1st month it was off the road waiting on parts to be fitted, belts&dephaser, de-chavving it, All in the parts alone are standing me at a £1000, £2000 including the car. Yes it was cheap and I'm feeling that now! It still needs a new set of wheels as the current have slight buckles and some little tit bits doing.

However, I don't feel like I've "Gelled" with it, coming from a Fiesta, the Clio feels a bit "Wooly",the gear change is like stirring porridge, I think 5th is somewhere in Norway. The steering doesn't seem much cop either with a bit of play in the center.

Is it just a case of changing some bushes to sort these annoyances out?

172 Cup
Sound like you have bought a very poor example of a cup dude.

That said i guess some people will never gel with certain cars, some things just aren't ment to be. Atleast you can say you tried though.

I would finish off putting it right then if you still feel them same whack it up for sale and try something else ;)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
As above sounds like you've got a poor example. Clio should feel like a rocket ship compared to a fiesta, I've driven a 172 cup before, the one I drove didn't sound anything like yours.

172 Cup
It certainly was cheap, If you look on the project thread at some of the pictures you would get an idea, The previous owners really shagged it up.

Speed wise it does piss all over the Fiesta. I'm probably just moaning as the car isnt at where I want it? Over 6years I had replaced every part of the Fiesta's suspension at least once. Chassis wise it was a brand spanker.

Would a short-shift kit sort out the gearbox vagueness?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Mk5 or 6? Handling wise the clio's piss all over the Mk6. It's a closer call with the Mk5.

EDIT: Just read you put Mk5. Clio should still out handle the fiesta. Sounds like you've got issues.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You definitely spioled yourself with the MK5 gearbox mate. Shortshifter should help but it won't make it perfect.

Older shocks and springs also on the cup, it's never going to feel new/tight as the Fiesta after replacing so much.

225 Cup & Williams
Replacing the shocks all round and fit eibach sportline springs along with new ball joints and tie rods/tie rod ends. All this made a hell of a difference on my ph1. Also a proper geo/alignment setup is recommended too.

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
I felt exactly the same when I bought mine, felt like crap, replaced all the dampers, top mounts, wishbones, and had to get a set of alloys as every one of them was bent, had to get cambelt etc done, was really pissed off to be honest, but didn't have much choice in what car to buy as my previous one got stolen, so a rush buy.

I've had it over a year now and it's a great fun little car with a bit of poke, and I'm safe in the knowledge that it should last me a while, plus its not really costing me anything except mods and get 40mpg on my run to work which you can't say about most 2.0L petrols.

It all depends on how much money you want to throw at it and how long your going to keep it, if its a keeper get the money together now, get the suspension re-newed and I'm sure you'll be a bit happier.

172 Cup
I felt exactly the same when I bought mine, felt like crap, replaced all the dampers, top mounts, wishbones, and had to get a set of alloys as every one of them was bent, had to get cambelt etc done, was really pissed off to be honest, but didn't have much choice in what car to buy as my previous one got stolen, so a rush buy.

I've had it over a year now and it's a great fun little car with a bit of poke, and I'm safe in the knowledge that it should last me a while, plus its not really costing me anything except mods and get 40mpg on my run to work which you can't say about most 2.0L petrols.

It all depends on how much money you want to throw at it and how long your going to keep it, if its a keeper get the money together now, get the suspension re-newed and I'm sure you'll be a bit happier.

Exactly how I'm feeling! I'll get another set of Turini's next month, throw a bit more cash at it and see how I'm feeling.

The MPG is nearly at what the Fiesta was doing(44) so the economy is good, My mate in his Octy VRS is only getting 37 when being a complete good boy, I can thrash mine and see 33. Only doing 3-4k miles a year now helps too, its on 79k so will see me a good five years+

I'll report back in a month after its had some more money out of me!

Audi A5
Check you toe setting you may just be towing out a lot. That what mine is like atm and the steering feel horrible atm especially in the middle, I need to get mine sorted.

172 Cup
You got 44 mpg in the fiesta. How the hell did you manage that?

That's what I worked it out to be over a tank of 200+ m-way and 120+ of local driving(Usual week). I rarely put my foot down. Quick squirt to overtake then lightly feather the pedal to keep speed. Just cant be arsed trying to drive fast most of the time, Some idiot either gets in the way or your snarled up in traffic every few miles! Doesn't bother me sitting at 50ish on the bypass to work, Costs less and I'm rushing for no one!

RB 182
The gearbox in 1*2's is horrid. Sounds like you've got a bit of a shitter and i'm not surprised you haven't gelled with it given what it's cost you. Even so some people just done like them, i never really gelled with my 182 if i'm honest.

172cup
Ive had a fiesta rs turbo for 6 years and still own a rs1800 fiesta and my cup is so much better it's unreal don't think my Clio will ever be as fast as my Rst (unless I push it off a cliff) but power isnt every thing, my Clio needs a lot of work but look mint, but drive's handels feels 100% better

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
The gearshift isn't one of the RS's strongest assets, however if you get the stiff shift gear from yanoo on here it improves the feel to no end.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Re the gearbox, I sold my MY07 Zetec S Fiesta for the 182, and the gearbox felt terrible in the clio, took alot of getting used to.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I hated my clio for the first two weeks. Couldn't stand it. Misses said give it chance. 2 and a half years down the line, I still got it.

Be fucked if I would buy anything cheesed up. You've bought a bad one.