ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not getting up to temp?

I drove the 182 6 miles to work this morning. I had the a.c. on to demist the windows to begin with, but it stayed on all the way to work in auto climate mode set to 26 degrees. It said the temperature outside was 5 degrees when I got to work, so not too cold and plenty of driving under load. Sat idling for 10 minutes and it still didn't get to temp. I've been noticing this a lot recently where it doesn't seem to get up to running temp very quickly and even after reaching half way will sometimes drop down a little again.

This was sitting at work
123.jpg

Is this most likely to be the coolant temp sensor at fault? Or the thermostat itself?

Thanks for any help

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I drove the 182 6 miles to work this morning. I had the a.c. on to demist the windows to begin with, but it stayed on all the way to work in auto climate mode set to 26 degrees. It said the temperature outside was 5 degrees when I got to work, so not too cold and plenty of driving under load. Sat idling for 10 minutes and it still didn't get to temp. I've been noticing this a lot recently where it doesn't seem to get up to running temp very quickly and even after reaching half way will sometimes drop down a little again.

This was sitting at work
View attachment 1527198

Is this most likely to be the coolant temp sensor at fault? Or the thermostat itself?

Thanks for any help
Mines been doing exactly this for a few months. I put it down to the outside temp being colder. If I turn the heater off and sit there with it idling it does reach halfway. As soon as I start driving with the heater on, even on low like 18 degrees it drops again 1 mark on the temp gauge.
I wondered if it was anything to worry about or needs sorting sooner rather than later?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Mines been doing exactly this for a few months. I put it down to the outside temp being colder. If I turn the heater off and sit there with it idling it does reach halfway. As soon as I start driving with the heater on, even on low like 18 degrees it drops again 1 mark on the temp gauge.
I wondered if it was anything to worry about or needs sorting sooner rather than later?
Thermostat. The cold weather should make no difference, not our cold weather anyway

Reactions: DrR

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thermostat. The cold weather should make no difference, not our cold weather anyway
I was thinking thermostat. If it is the thermostat, will having the heater on or off will affect it? When my heater is off and idling it gets up to temp quicker and will stay there longer but still drops when i start to drive.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Doesnt even look that bad? Dont know what mine goes to now! What's standard? Just over half?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I was thinking thermostat. If it is the thermostat, will having the heater on or off will affect it? When my heater is off and idling it gets up to temp quicker and will stay there longer but still drops when i start to drive.
Yeah having the heater on will cool the engine as you're drawing heat away. As the engine temp drops the thermostat should close to reduce the flow of coolant

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
I dont drive my clio anymore but i used to have a 1 1/2 commute and my water temp would be cold by the time i got to work. I have an oil temp and that read normal so i was never that bothered.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My temp guage is acting exactly the same way! It always stayed on the halfway mark and never moved before.

I've bought a genuine Renault thermostat & coolant temp sensor and will be replacing both as well as new coolant.

I think if you do the same it will fix your issue.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Watched mine on the way to work this morning. 6 mile journey same as @Pistachio with my blowers on the windscreen all the way at 16c (not 24c because I'm not a heathen).

Temperature sat just below middle most of the way but then in the last mile or so it got upto halfway. Does fluctuate slightly but presume it's down to the blowers being on? Mines a brand new rad and hoses but presume original coolant temp sensor and thermostat 👍

Clio 182
Mine definitely runs a little bit cooler in the very cold winter. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
One thing worth noting is it's not 'up to temp' as soon as the needle hits the middle.

It's more of an indicator to say it's within range. It'll stay in the middle from like 50°c up until it overheats.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It should get up to the middle of the gauge and then stay there, even if you play with the heaters/fan.

The middle range is quite broad as previously mentioned, I remember playing round recording with the OBD, and it would only dip below the middle if the coolant temp was under something like 77°C. And stays there up to beyond 100°C.

Clio 182
Surely a thermostat that was stuck open would present itself as a car that takes forever to actually get anywhere near the middle?

I was out in mine again the other night (7deg ambient) and the car came up to temp after no more than ten mins and a few miles of very easy driving. It never quiet got to bang on half way but sat pretty much just under it.

I don’t see this an issue but I’m willing to be educated on the matter. I can take physical water temp checks the next time I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I replaced the thermostat and temp sensor and this morning it was fully up to temp after 2.5 miles with the heating on. That was driving in 30mph traffic and 6 degrees. Before I could drive 6+ miles with the heating off and it wouldn't hit the middle.

So I think that has definitely fixed the issue 😁👍
Do you have a link to the parts you bought? Glad its sorted!

Do you have a link to the parts you bought? Glad its sorted!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I replaced the thermostat and temp sensor and this morning it was fully up to temp after 2.5 miles with the heating on. That was driving in 30mph traffic and 6 degrees. Before I could drive 6+ miles with the heating off and it wouldn't hit the middle.

So I think that has definitely fixed the issue 😁👍
So we'll never really know which part fixed the problem lol.

This has been fine since I fitted the above parts, but yesterday it was going mad fluctuating up and down. Seemed to drop with revs.

This morning I drove to work with it barely getting up to temp. Finally got up to temp, then when I parked at work it dropped way down and went on to high idle mode like it was stone cold.

Temp sensor gone again?

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
This might seem random, but it might be worth checking or getting the battery checked as I had something similar when I had my 106 GTI years ago.

The oil temperature gauge starting acting like a mini rev counter, no other electrical weirdness other than this. Got the battery tested and turned out it had a dead cell; would show 12v static and 14v+ charging, but drop test proved it was dead. Change the battery and it went away.

Bit of a long shot, but would be an easy check to rule it out.

Not sure about the wiring, I'll need to check that. The battery was new 2020 after lock down. I think it is a decent make if I remember right.

I'm tempted to just chuck a new sensor in it :LOL:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Is there only one sensor on this car?

Not uncommon to be one for the ECU and a separate one for the dash gauge.