ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not Having Much Luck With Computers This Weekend!!!!

CTR--VX220D
I started some Microsoft Updates - which was IE7 on my brand new Dell laptop. I restarted once finished.

It wouldnt boot XP!

Came up with :-

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM [cant remember exact Dir] Has either been removed or corrupted

So I had to go through the timely process of repairing XP from disk.... That failed/hung 3 x times when it got to 'registering components'.

Its all working now - I'm on it now.

I thought I had 2 x buggered laptops!

Has anyone else had this problem????

Thanks

Chris

PS. Got another problem now! when I switch userprofiles and launch IE [still on 6] it comes up with a runtime error and doesnt launch!

dk

911 GTS Cab
yes i have seen this before, used a boot disk i think and then reinstalled windows.

CTR--VX220D
Regarding my new prolem with IE - I cannot use Internet Explorer on more than 1 x accounts at the same time [switching users]

It stays something about a sharing violation.

Revels Mum & Sister
My sisters Dell laptop brand new ran like a dog when she had it. Which was strange alsorts of strange errors just made worse by removing the bloatware.

In the end I used a XP Pro disk and the Serial on the bottom and reloaded a FRESH clean copy and just installed drivers. Touch wood has been fine since!

CTR--VX220D
^^^What - format the drive partitioned = C drive then install a fresh copy on it?^^^

Or when you format the disk all partitions get deleted also?

Has anyone got a quick guide or link to do the above?

The laptop is working OK now and I successfully installed IE7. I still cannot have IE running on 2 x users b0th logged in though - not a big problem though TBH.

Cheers

Chris

Revels Mum & Sister
Yeah just format the C Paritition as that has the OS on it. I believe the other partition is drivers, Recovery.

I personally formatted them both and used it as one drive. Burnt drivers to Disk thats all that she needs

CTR--VX220D
Thanks,

Forgive my ignorance but I am usually working on Server, Win2k.

How do I get to the menu on XP to start a format of the C drive?

To repair from disk I hit F12, selected boot from CD, then followed the repair option on XP.

Revels Mum & Sister
Whack the Windows XP Disk in NOT the Dell cd.

Boot from it. First screen gives you the option to format and create partitions. Is fairly straight forward.

CTR--VX220D
Looks like I need to download a different XP disk then.

The only disks I have with the laptop is the Dell reinstall CD which has XP on it, and the Dell drivers CD.

Hmmm