ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not starting.... URGENT.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Right guys,

Whats up wi ma car.. (1.6 16v 99)
Put the coilovers on tonight, started of with the back.. went to start ma car to turn her around and nothing... she is turning but not starting.

Anyway, pushed her out and turned her and pushed back in and done the front.

I tried starting her again but same goes, the stop light has come on and wont go off when hanbrake is off..

Any ideas on what this could be and how do a fix it..??

p.s. urgent plz, i have a track day 2 moro.! (well tonight)

172 cup'd extreme
dim lit dash - earth problem
does the starter turn or make a funny noise?
have you checked the battery ?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
earth problem.... all i have done is ma coilovers..

oh wait the now, i disconected ma sub n amp... cables are still connected to battery and ma earth cable is still connected..

I take it first try will be totally disconnecting them.!

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
yeah it's turning fine... thinking it might not be initiating with the flywheel tho.. Although the engine did jump about like the pistons were moving..

Is there a fuel cut of or crash sensor around that i may have knocked during doing ma coilys?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
16v_jon said:
inertia switch the red button on the engine bay - press this try again
Tried that already.. :(

away to take out the abs fuse and see if it will let me start it.

Let u know how i get on

it won't mate abs should'nt kill the engine it may screw up a few things but not that,same with the impact sensors.i would check all the wiring that you were near myself,depends what kind of clio but perhaps when you've took the top mount bolt of you've disturbed something possibly near the ecu.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
It was after doing the back tho.... i have checked all the abs and cables.. nothing.

checked all sensors etc and battery connections.. gonna try n jump start her and see if its maybe cos she hasnt got enough power to get her going..

ma mind is baffled

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
I have spoken to a renault technician and had the AA out, they both think it'll be a problem with the tdc sensor...

I am gettin a shot of my mates one 2moro as he is rebuilding his megane 1.6 16v engine at the moment.. If it isn't this i dont have a clue what it could be as my engine is turning and it is getting fuel.. It's just not starting.

I think i might replace the sparkplugs although this cant be the problem cos whats the chances of all 4 going at the same time!?

Any other ideas?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Sounds just like the fuel cut off switch has been knocked. Not sure where it is, possibly under the dash.

Though thinking about it, you said it is getting fuel.

J

JEFF4507

Try this. Turn the key to ignition, then wait for all the warning and startup lights to go out, then (this next bit must be done quickly), turn it back to off, and turn it straight to start the engine. I'll get a video done so I don't have to explain that again, or someone tell me the correct names for different key positions.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
My My My, I hope you get it fixed mate. I had a similar problem with MY 172 Cup, had to get the AA out to fix that too.

Gal

A Clee O
Would say that its a possibilty of it being the coilpack. See if you can borrow your mates and try that.

They go without any sign of failure at all. Just one day they stop. The engine will still turn over, you can smell the petrol just not sparking.

Give that a go.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Right, been to ma local breakers and picked up 2 tdc sensors for £10.. gonna go try these..

**fingers crossed cos a wanna test out the coilovers!!**

nissan sunny gtir
ive got a similar problem it turns over but will not start the only way i can get it to start is turn it over it wont fire turn key off pump throttle 4 times then restart and it goes now and again have changed fuel pump nothing think its immobilizer but not sure going to get rac to have a look at it.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
well i have abandoned ma car at ma brothers, i work 120 miles away so it will have to wait till friday!
I will just get it on ma mates trailer and take it up to renault and tell them not to give me it back till it's fixed!

330ci Conv
Where is the TDC Sensor in the Phase 1 172?

Having problems starting mine, in the garage at the moment... happened to me last week took it to the gagare and stuck it on the computer and reset everything, worked fine for a week then same thing has happened again. Thats hope they can fix it this time as only just got the car and has put me right off the Clio now.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
on the top of the bell housing of the gearbox. (i presume it's similar to my ph1 1.6 16v)

it has 2 10mm bolts a a small cable attached to it.

Anyway, back onto my problem... Is there a fuel cut off switch in my boot area or is it possible i have disturbed ma earth cable on ma petrol tank!?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
nah, nohing at all... it seems like it's dead!? :(

the engine rotates tho if u know what i mean.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
So would an petrol tank earth cause this problem?

Or

Do i have a fuel cut off in my boot that could have been triggered?

Gal

A Clee O
Did you try the coil pack? It was a Petrol tank earth It would probably start sometimes and then randomly cut out. Also the Fuel cut off, It would attempt to start but then cut out. As it would use the petrol in the line already before not starting.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
not tried coil pack yet..

u never answered me tho, is there a fuel cut off in the boot.?

must be something around there that i have buggered! (it was when fitting ma coilovers on the rear)

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Right no fuel cut off in boot, no coil pack there are 4 indivual ones unlikely for all 4 to go down does the immob light go out?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Yeah immob working as usual... muxt be an earth somewhere then... as i said it was after doing the back struts/springs it first appeared..

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
this is really annoying me now... someone please help me... EDDE where are you man?

theirs no earths i can think of exposed under the car.if it was me and my car id try and start it,when it doesnt start take a lead out and touch it against another lead see if its sparking,if it is put it back and disconnect the fuel line and see if fuel blasts out,this will at very least help you narrow down your problem.
i've fitted coilovers on my car and for the life of i can't think of any wires you'd even come close that that would cause this.

172 Cup, Clio 197
sounds like the sparks your problem. I aint looked around mine yet, however, i'd get yourself a head light bulb with pos and neg wires on it and connect it to the wires going into the coil pack. Then turn it over, if it lights up then the problems between coil pack and the plus, if not then you need to work out why power aint getting to the coil pack

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
I had my fuel rail disconnected and petrol came out, although i never tried starting to see if it squirted out or not.. (i think this will be my first check.)

Not looked at the plugs, ma clio has 4 seperate coils so i very much doubt 4 have gone at once?

The only thing that may have been disturbed is the earth to the petrol tank/cap as when i was under ma car my brother was pulling out mud and cleaning around that area.

Would this have that effect tho, preventing my car from starting!?!?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
help me... getting back to my car this afternoon so really need to know how to fix it.. i have till 4 before my slot on ma m8s trailer dissaspears!!