ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nothing Happening In When Key Is Turned!!!!!

Clio 172 51 plate black
Hiya

Anyone Know What Is Wrong With My Clio Rsi 96. Turn The Key All Lights On Battery Working Etc But Turn It To Fire Engine And Nothing At All No Noise Nothing???

Help???!?!?!?!

Dibbz_rsi

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
check battery connection, sometimes they come loose (the dash light still work tho). also, put the key in, try and start, if it dont work, take key out and do it again. mine did it once, it was the spring in the barral sticking, doing it several times made it work. do oyu her any clicking at all?

Clio 172 51 plate black
Checked Battery Connection, All Lights On Took Key Out, Turned Immobisliser On And Off Changed Ignition Lead No Nosie Or Anything!!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
the Immobisliser wouldnt mk diff to the starter moter turning....if its not even clicking, it might be fryed, or theres a loose connection on it...

Clio 172 51 plate black
It Will Occasionaly Start Though!!!!!!! Its So Strange Just Happened All Of A Sudden!! Managed To Bump Start It!!!!

Fucked imobiliser or starter motor

Next time it does it try skmacking the starter motor (located on the rear of the gearbox) with a hammer and see if that helps.

If its the starter i have a spare RSi one kicking about somewhere

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
oh just so you know, you shouldnt bump start a car with a cat, it lets unburnt petrol into them, and brakes them.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Starter motor - i guarantee it. Its a very common fault with the starter used on the F3P engine. Put the car in 1st gear and take the hand brake off. Do not switch the ignition on. Roll the car backwards and forwards so its engaging in gear. Then put it back into neutral and try the ignition switch again

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
right i checked my exciter wire and everything looks ok, is there ant test i can perform to check the wire has not corroded or snapped in the insulation. looking at the haynes manual the exciter wire goes straight to the ignition barrel.

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
all wires seem to be ok i have not rocked the car in first gear but the car can be bump started no problem

VaVa
Starter or battery. You can still get lights on your dash even with a fooked battery. If that's the case check your alternator too.

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
alternator is fine as when the car is running i am getting 14.6 on the volt meter.

can a battery have the correct voltage but be knackered ie there is not enough ampage for cranking power??

Valver
When you turn the ignition do you hear a click? Bet you the solonoid in your starter motor is sticking, next time turn the key twice then try and flick the key back and forth between second/third turn, this usually works eventually to unstick it... or try hitting the starter motor with a hammer that works too!

RB 182 Cup
dyp said:
sounds exactly like the problem i have got. must be an RSI thing :D

sorry to burst your bubble but it happened on my 1.4 RT a while ago, i didnt fix it, just sold it to my mum without telling her. and when it happened to me i heard a click while attempting to start, so i rekon yours is the same problem as my car had, the starter solenoid.

pull your exciter wire off and put your volt meter into it and earth it, Put the ignition to crank and you should get 12 to 13 volts. if thats right then just check your engine earths. An easy way is to put a jump lead from the engine to the neg terminal of the battery. If all checks id go for The starter.

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
it is my starter motor.

1. main earth check, jump lead from negative to the block, no luck!

2. voltage starter motor power lead checked thats fine

3. exciter wire when ignition is off is held at -1 volt and on turning ignition on 12 .3 volts was recorded.

4. took one large hammer and whacked the starter motor a few times starter starts to click and were into action managed to get her to fire up.

time to get a new starter i think

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
yeah all sorted. turned out it was the starter motor and the starter motor power feed.

i am not great at working on engines so my mate who works for vauxhall fitted the starter motor. they starter solenoid would click but not fire the car up. we measured the voltage on the power feed wich was 12.5 volts i think but when i turned the key it dropped down to 1 volt. connecting a jump lead straight to the motor from the battery the car started first time so i have now got another power cable in my engine bay.

can anyone see any problems with this??