ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nubie looking for a 197

Hi Everyone

I'm new to Clio's and I'm looking to buy a 197

I have decided to downsize my collection of cars due to taking up karting, so need a daily driver that is fun to drive as well as being useable.

I have been looking at a number of different cars and have stumbled across the 197's as they seem to be good value and cheap to insure.

I have just been to look at a 197 F1 and the car seemed to be fantastic, it was poised, well balanced, revvy and wanted to be pushed hard

The only problem was that the car I looked at was a rather tatty 2007 and well over priced compared to others available (only a 3hr round trip :dead:)

I have found another 197 but this one is a 20k miles 2008 Cup without the buckets but with air con

I have a couple of questions for everyone:

What should I look out for mechanically?

Will I really miss the bucket seats?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hi and welcome.

I got my r27 a month or two ago and settled on the r27 over a normal 197 because they come with all the desirable options: recaros, cup chassis, ly paint... Then I just had to find one with the extra xenons and climate control

Imo, the r27 is the one to get, it's 1 of 500, it's already got the recaros and chassis so you don't have to hunt them down :) and they do hold a premium over normal ones

Hi and welcome.

I got my r27 a month or two ago and settled on the r27 over a normal 197 because they come with all the desirable options: recaros, cup chassis, ly paint... Then I just had to find one with the extra xenons and climate control

Imo, the r27 is the one to get, it's 1 of 500, it's already got the recaros and chassis so you don't have to hunt them down :) and they do hold a premium over normal ones

Hi

Don't you find 6th gear a little tiring on a long drive??

Cheers

Dave

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
how do you mean tiring?

i drive 90 miles a day atm, i find 6th has plenty of torque for lazy overtakes. i think when im in 'sensible mode, i only use gears 1,2 and 6 lol

its not too loud either with music on (+ktec exhaust) although i didnt have a radio code for a few days and my god did it drone lol

Golf 7R
Welcome to the forum.

You will find yourself looking for 7th gear in any 197/200, and I did find it frustrating on long motorway journeys.

Look for melting steering wheels, crunchy gearbox, wearing bolsters ( on Recaro's. )

I'd personally hold out for a decent R27, should your budget allow?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome!

1993, take it thats your D.O.B.... leaving it a bit late in life to start karting aren't you lol.

I gave up myself a few years ago now aged 21 racing since I was 11, still very occasionally get out but the endless money pit that it is soon becomes apparent.

All the best.

Welcome!

1993, take it thats your D.O.B.... leaving it a bit late in life to start karting aren't you lol.

I gave up myself a few years ago now aged 21 racing since I was 11, still very occasionally get out but the endless money pit that it is soon becomes apparent.

All the best.

Hi

Nope I'm 28 so very late to start, it's fantastic fun though and very quick. Also I'm looking at doing rotax 177 at club level so a little more laid back.... hopefully

Cheers

Dave