ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NUMBER PLATES

I have just had some new plates made up for 225s arrival and have been a bit naughty and changed the spacing in the plates.

This was the original: M800 SSE

Heres the new one: M800SSE

I know the last one is illegal but just want to know the penalty if you get pulled by Mr Plod. I would be happy with a fine but will not even consider sticking them on if there is any chance of getting points.

Any one that knows the score or has been pulled for this before let me know what you think.

ps.. I cant imagine they are that strict on it becuase I see at least a dozen cars each day where either the spacing or letters have been changed illegally.

I think they just tell you off and you have to correct it and report back to them, and prolly give you a producer too, cant see them giving you points though, might get a fine, but cant see it myself

Ford Fiesta

youll probably get a VDRS to get it sorted within 14days and a producer for your documents within 7days. The VDRS will need to be stamped at a MOT station these may charge for this a little...

111s

Ive had mine wrongly spaced for about a year now, been pulled twice in that time and theyve never mentioned it.

Yer just read that £1K fine bit on the DVLA website!! I would feel a bit unlucky if I got that but would expect a producer etc...

BMW 328 Ci

I have the same thing, so long as you use the standard font and dont misrepresent they will probably never notice. Just makes it better to look at for the eye.

BMW M3 - For Sale!

ive got the old style black number plates with silver lettering and i havnt been pulled yet... had em on since donny south

Renault Laguna Coupe

As long as you dont take the piss (i.e. as long as its obvious what your real number is) I dont think theyre too bothered.

111s

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 28 August 2004

As long as you dont take the piss (i.e. as long as its obvious what your real number is) I dont think theyre too bothered.
Well summed up

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Whats illegal about it if it has all the correct letters clearly displayed?

My mate got pulled half a dozen times cause his K7 ORBO looked alot like K.TURBO

No points and no fine, just had to get some standard plates made up.

know some1 who got an £80 fine i think 4 having a space where he shouldnt have. he never did anything about it though lol

GR7

Shiny red R32

There are lots of misplaced plates around the Edinburgh/Lothians area that have been that way for ages so presumably nobody has stopped them and asked them to change. Personally I think a number plate spaced to resemble a word or name would be much easier to remember in the case of an incident where somoene had to recall a cars plate!

Renault Laguna Coupe

DVLA make a lot of money selling plates like this. As long as its obvious what the real reg number is, they should let us have our fun with them IMO.

RS Clio 182

I got pulled for changing S12 ORY to S 12ORY as my name is RORY. Think I was speeding very slightly and gave them a reason to pull me over. Got a £30 fine and told that if I was caught again, the reg would be taken off me. No points though.

Think they only really become a problem if you are caught speeding or in an accident or something as it gives the police something to stop you/pull you over for.

Its when you mess around with different fonts and black screw covers that they get you. But thats mainly because the UK is becoming a surveillance society and all the congestion charge cameras and vehicle tax checking cameras cant read them.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 29 August 2004

DVLA make a lot of money selling plates like this. As long as its obvious what the real reg number is, they should let us have our fun with them IMO.
Exactly!! Some of the plates they keep back for auction dont actually make up a proper word so they are encouraging car drivers to mis -space them to make them appear as words or names - they charge enough for them and we dont even own them, all we pay for is the right to display them.

Nissan Jewk

Im inheriting a number plate from my nan, she has the same initials, number plate is only 4 digits, worth more than my car! bring it on!

If there wasnt any standards it would be a complete mess!........The more slack they are the more people take advantage of it....Number plates like Paddys are fine.. Its when people change spaces etc that they hate it and i can see why.

i got pulled twice for mine for incorrect spaceing-my area is really bad for comeing down on it and its been in nationals recently about it. Both times i got immediate £25 fines and producers. in the national papers aa and rac both said really though they should give you time to change it. I was told by the guy who made my plate up that he knew a guy with a plate that read along the lines of CRIMINAL who got pulled every week and had only ever been fined once

Thanks guys, I think I will try the one with no spaces when the car arrives and I am fully prepared to accept a (small) fine and/or producer if I do get pulled.

I have been driving around today and I must have counted over a dozen plates where the spacing had been changed. The letters had not been altered so cant see a lot wrong with it myself. As long as those f**king speed cameras can read your plate I would have though the police will be quite leanient.