ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nurburgring Build

SiMunn

ClioSport Club Member
  n/a
Looking for advice...

Myself and a friend have bought a 172 CUP for the purpose of taking it to the 'Green Hell' next summer as part of my stag do!

This car will only be used for track days as we have other daily driver's. In your opinion what is the best modifications to be doing? Not looking for power... more handling. We have looked into the normal stuff like coilovers, poly bushing etc but my friend is looking at new axles and stiffening plates. Are these things really necessary?

As I am also saving for a wedding I do not want to be plowing ££££'s into the car but equally want to make it the best it can be (within reason)

Any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate!

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Dont think they will be necessary for what your doing.

Id go Brakes then some decent rubber. The Clio is amazing fun on the standard suspension setup.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Pound for pound the best mod for making a Clio go round a track faster is a limited slip differential.

SiMunn

ClioSport Club Member
  n/a
we have fully striped the entire insides leaving just the dash. we plan to cage it soon along with fixed buckets and harnesses but don't want to be doing small unnecessary jobs if they dont make a massive difference.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
If its just for some cheap fun id just do the basics and enjoy the car for what it is.

Id uprate all the bushes if they’ve never been done, buy some good springs or coilovers, decent brake pads/disks and some good rubber. Aside from that if its for some cheap fun you will be throwing money away for bigger mods (speaking from experience lol).

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
As above. Decent rubber and a good service before hand. Brakes and a suspension check ie broken springs. That should do it

SiMunn

ClioSport Club Member
  n/a
I have some Eibach springs to fit to my cup shocks tomorrow but will get coilovers eventually. Anyone recommend decent brakes for track?

S-Max & Mk7 GTi
Why’s that? I know it’s going to be loud and rattle but I still have the front speakers to drown out anything

It’ll just be a much nicer place to be for the ride over. It’ll be just as much fun with some trim still in, you may end up being a tenth of a second slower per lap tho.

SG9 Forester STi
Why’s that? I know it’s going to be loud and rattle but I still have the front speakers to drown out anything

The front speakers are no match for the rattles of a stripped out clio and as said it won’t make a difference.

As it’s just for some track/stag do fun you’re better off keeping some of the creature comforts..like your eardrums and sanity.

On a serious note, I always found the whiteline ARB to be worth its money handling wise. You can’t go wrong with carbon lorraine pads (RC5+) if you’re only using it for track you can put up with the squeal and they’re good to go from cold.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Coilovers, good pads, good tyres, RARB, polybushing everything ..... it depends how far you want to go with it really.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure it’s mechanically sound.

You don’t want any leaks of anything. Like really you don’t if you value your bank account.

SiMunn

ClioSport Club Member
  n/a
I think I’ll book it into my local garage for them to give it the “once over” and report if there are any leaks or areas we should concentrate on first