ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nurburing insurance

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Blatant copy and paste from my post on another forum, but thought it might interest people here who might be planning a trip to the ring as well so have duplicated it:

Firstly a HUGE thanks to Matt for sorting it all.

Basically a few months ago I contacted Matt about wanting insurance for a trip we have coming up in october.

He informed me that he could provide us a policy that was with an underwriter who would do extensions to the insurance for trackdays on an ad-hoc basis for an additional fee.

The price of the policy was around 600 pounds, with all modifications declared on the car (its not massively modified, just mild engine mods and upgraded brakes and suspension) which was competitive anyway, in fact even insured as a standard car it would have cost us over 400 pounds with the cheapest insurer and the best modified quote was hardly any less than this one and wouldnt have allowed the ring extension, so it was a no brainer for us to be insured properly for such a small extra premium.

Matt informed us that we should give him one months notice when we wanted trackday cover, and that it would be around 60 pounds per day for cover to use on track and that this would include not just cover of the car like a lot of policies, but also 3rd party cover at the ring which was our primary concern.

I spoke to him this week to confirm the details, and for a premium of 240 pounds he has arranged cover for both myself and my girlfriend on our 172 for 4 days at the ring and was able to include free of charge cover for our 1 day at spa on the way back.

I am absoultely over the moon with the service, I absolutely love the ring but am always nervous about the insurance side of it, so IMHO this is very cheap peace of mind :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PMSL

Epic copy and paste fail, company name was in the title in the original thread I posted, lol

Keith Michaels PLC

Stava, the first 3 days are TF, the 4th day is a trackday.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I hear a lot about Keith Michaels PLC after looking into Silvias, meant to be decent!

They seem able to cover just about anything, ive got some mates covered with them on some really crazy cars, including a nitrous'ed cossie that makes over 800bhp even before the gas comes in.

That's rather good if it covers TF. I doubt I'll ever do a TF session again, but it's good to know people can get 3rd party cover.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I really enjoy the TF days, I like how busy and hectic it is.

But I love combe action days and trax and stuff too.

Depends if you just want to have fun or work on laptimes, its rubbish for the latter really.

It's the risk that ruins it for me, Chip. I can handle the Beetles and M3's smashing past, it's just the Brits (usually) that worry me. Too many people trying too hard, on a circuit they don't know. But I do know what you mean.

Nissan 350z
Woah i wasnt expecting them to cover TF days at the ring! I always thought you couldnt get insurance for them?
I will deffinately be contacting Keith Michaels PLC come renewal.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Chip so you insured on action days as well then? is that the same £60 as a full trackday?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip so you insured on action days as well then? is that the same £60 as a full trackday?

Nah we dont bother for action days, like I said its the 3rd party liability im worried about, and there is nothing to worry about in that respect on UK circuits.

If we bin it in the uk, it'll just mean wasting a few hundred quid on a new shell and a few weekends swapping it all over, so not worth worrying about.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Ah sorry I get you, I took 3rd party to also mean other cars involved.. i.e you throw your Clio into a 458 italia at 100mph ;)