ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Occasional loss of power, where do I start?

2004 Clio MkII
Hi, I was hoping somebody could hand-hold a little while I delve into solving this problem.

CAR:
2004 MkII 1.2 Dynamique

PROBLEM:
Event 1) Driving down the motorway a while ago and the
engine power dropped, car limited itself to just under 60mph. Electric/coil & check engine lights came on. Coil light went away by next start, check engine cleared itself after a while too.

Event 2) A few days ago on a very short journey, after pausing at an intersection twice car almost lost power completely both times and had very rough idling. After a few nervous seconds it went away both times and hasn't been back since. No error lights.

No other symptoms, plenty of trouble-free driving in between. Car is a touch sluggish to start and features mayo, if that's related then it was a long time coming as neither are remotely new.

ORDER OF BUSINESS?:
Following some inexpert research: sensors seem an expensive roll of the dice and appear generally not to be the solution so I'm looking elsewhere for now.

1) Wiring loom, presumably usually first since it sounds like a huge troublemaker. My layout looks unlike anything I can find on the subject, even Haynes, but I think on this model the ECU plug sits underneath a slim extreme metal cage between the battery and water.

eY44pdG.jpg

If that's correct then it wouldn't move if it were hit by an axe. They're shoved in pretty tight with a plastic covering so I'm thinking it's not chafing and I can't imagine how I'd open the cage so I think that's a pass for now.

2) Throttle body clean. Next place to try? Am I correct that this is a D4F engine and I can get where I need to go using the following video:

Thanks everybody!

2004 Clio MkII
I forget the details, but the original code was something generic and a bunch of null results from the specifics. And there was no code at all last time.