ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd Noise Passenger front Wheel

Clio 172
Quick Question?

I seem to be getting this odd noise from the Passenger front wheel, I managed to take off the wheel today to check the bearing which seem to be fine, not making any grinding noises, and there is no movement in the wheel, I then moved onto the driveshaft, and there seem to be a very small amount of movement from the driveshaft. when pushing and pulling on it. Is this normal for a small amount of movement from the driveshaft.

The noise only happens when at speed, say 40Mph+ and turning right.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't say there should be any movement in the driveshaft. Sounds like the hub nut isn't tight enough. Whereabouts can you see it moving? Also as for the noise, what kind of noise is it? A grinding, clicking, knocking, banging, whining etc etc.

Clio 172
I would say a grinding noise, but it not very lout at all, I have a video of the driveshaft movement which I will post up.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like it could be play in the CV Joint. Check it again and if there's movement at the end of the driveshaft (where the hub nut goes on) then the hub nut is probably not tight enough. Kinda seems unlikely that it would be that though. If there's no movement at the nut then I'd say it was coming from in the CV Joint.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Tbh mate it's probably the CV joint, but it's always worth checking for easy fixes! IME a loose hub nut knocks a bit when pulling away at first as it takes up slack but doesn't do it again until you reverse since the shaft turns the other way.

Clio 172
Well you can replace the CV joint, but at the end of the day you might s well replace the complete driveshaft, it cost a bit more, but it allot less hassle.