ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd question

172 cup
Now I know I'm likely to get shot down in flames but here it goes! I am picking up a rear bumper which is 100 miles away. However I need to go that way with the family.

I was thinking about taking off my rear bumper and putting the new one on there, saving 200 miles as I cant fit the family in with a bumper.

Is this legal?

BG DCI
Now I know I'm likely to get shot down in flames but here it goes! I am picking up a rear bumper which is 100 miles away. However I need to go that way with the family.

I was thinking about taking off my rear bumper and putting the new one on there, saving 200 miles as I cant fit the family in with a bumper.

Is this legal?

Remember this kind of stuff coming up before.

Something about your car not being safe for other road users as your rear bumper is designed to take some of the force in a crash...

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
How about driving down, fit new bumper and dump the old one? obviously if you need to keep the old one then this wont work.

172 cup
Well ffrom what I was reading the main point is that there has to be nothing sharp sticking out. Not sure if that's true?

Was also thinking of ditching the old bumper at a local tip but being a tight arse I was going to try and sell it

172 Cup
For the price you'd get for the bumper would probably be the same in petrol for driving twice!

172 cup
Cheers, I cant see anything sticking out that might be dangerous. Well maybe my exhaust.

Unless anyone wants a cup rear bumper in the East Sussex area on Saturday for a beer token

Cup In bits
You should be fine, search SVA test. They basically use half a small bowling ball and rub it all the car searching for sharp points and places that could catch a head or a knee or similar.

The plate is on the boot so as long as its not night driving you are doing you should be fine.

I'm guessing the old bumper is damaged so not worths selling anyway? So I would just drive there with it in and dump it.

172 cup
Well the only thing I can think of is my exhaust it like a yozza so sits under the bumper so might be class as sticking out?

My current bumper is not damaged there is just a small scuff and some chips from the previous owner taking stuff out of the boot.

What is the penalty if I do get pulled?

172 cup
If they try to impound my car the there will be a death sentence!

Kind of swaying to the side that the old bumper isnt worth the hassle, just annoying throwing it away.

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
As said, as long as there's no sharp edges then you'll be fine. If you are pulled over, you can always argue that you're on your way to collect a new bumper.