ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd rear calipers

Am in the process of rebuilding them but want a matching oem pair ideally. They both say bosch but is it the rounded handbrake lever that came from factory?

IMG_5902.JPG

monaco 172
Lol my 172 was exactly the same with 2 odd ones like those.

I had to replace one with a eurocarparts one and it was the same as the one on the right

I think OEM is the left one, but could be wrong

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Last edited:

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Isnt the one on the right a ph1, left a ph2?

Dont think so, my ph1 has both the rounded bars like the left type

When I replaced both calipers on the cup from dingbro I annoyingly got one of each type

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Dont think so, my ph1 has both the rounded bars like the left type

When I replaced both calipers on the cup from dingbro I annoyingly got one of each type
Oh ok, I read something about them recently on here I must have misunderstood. I'm doing the same process right now.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
I could be wrong though. One of them has definately been replaced and one seems original on the ph1
When I fitted one of each the handbrake seemed to have a bit more slack on the flat lever

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Saxo VTS, 106 GTi's and 306 GTi-6's all use identical rears as the clio. 205 is the same too I think iirc an old thread

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Isnt the one on the right a ph1, left a ph2?
You might be right . The 1 on the left is definitely the same as I had on my ph2 172 and the same as my 182.
When searching for 182 rear calipers you do see the one on the right come up in the search. I think the only difference is the arm for the handbrake cable.

20200223_191645.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Zach I might have a genuine one in my spares suitable for a rebuild? Which side is it you need @ZachB

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
99% of these calipers are now fully remanufactured and not made new so you are now going to get a mix match.

I got @Gus two calipers with the same issue, I than opened up all the boxes until I got got a pair that was matching as there was no way of telling whats in the box until you open it so almost all your places like GSF, ECP and others will just have recon units on the shelf and some will have different arms like in the picture.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
99% of these calipers are now fully remanufactured and not made new so you are now going to get a mix match.

I got @Gus two calipers with the same issue, I than opened up all the boxes until I got got a pair that was matching as there was no way of telling whats in the box until you open it so almost all your places like GSF, ECP and others will just have recon units on the shelf and some will have different arms like in the picture.
Like Marc says. Thanks Marc !

My advice is don't under any circumstances attempt to swap the handbrake arm or remove the handbrake arm. It's stupidly hard to put back together.

@Mbeau Thanks mate but I had ordered one already. I cant get a lift in the next couple days either otherwise I thought you might have one.

@Gus Cliosport advice means always do the exact opposite right? :ROFLMAO: Im going to take apart the odd one too see whats what, Id like to have a crack at it but if its just going to cause unnecessary pain then wont bother

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@Mbeau Thanks mate but I had ordered one already. I cant get a lift in the next couple days either otherwise I thought you might have one.

@Gus Cliosport advice means always do the exact opposite right? :ROFLMAO: Im going to take apart the odd one too see whats what, Id like to have a crack at it but if its just going to cause unnecessary pain then wont bother
It's perfectly possible to do, it's just very frustrating to swap. When you take one apart just remember what order the concave washers go.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It's perfectly possible to do, it's just very frustrating to swap. When you take one apart just remember what order the concave washers go.
I stripped one down years ago . I think from memory there were 4 concave washers. They were an absolute b*****d to get back together. Never again lol.

Instead of making another thread. Ive been cleaning up the top mounts using bilt hamber deox c, small stone attachment and wet n dry but Im not sure the best way (no powder coating) to paint them to last good. Reason ive stripped them back to raw metal and they start to 'rust' so I dont want to just spray them straight with the vht. Is there any spray stuff that anyone recommends as a protective rust treatment layer to apply first?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Instead of making another thread. Ive been cleaning up the top mounts using bilt hamber deox c, small stone attachment and wet n dry but Im not sure the best way (no powder coating) to paint them to last good. Reason ive stripped them back to raw metal and they start to 'rust' so I dont want to just spray them straight with the vht. Is there any spray stuff that anyone recommends as a protective rust treatment layer to apply first?
Get some zinc phosphate on there first

Whats the best way to get them as smooth as possible without slaving away? Ive gone over them with the stone attachment but its a little rough in places.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Whats the best way to get them as smooth as possible without slaving away? Ive gone over them with the stone attachment but its a little rough in places.
You mean the top of the top mounts , where the nut sits inside ?
Some fine emery cloth then treat with your BH then some cold galv spray.

They are just drying after 4 good coats of zinc primer. Bought some Hammerite Kurust as well which was really easy to use. Do I just wait until the primers dried then spray on the top coat? Because at the back of the can it said wait 24 hours?