ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Odd' router/netbook question?

My Asus netbook gets a very poor signal in my own house unless I am right next to the BT home hub. My old Toshiba laptop gets an excellent signal wherever it is in the house.

The same netbook gets an excellent signal in my parents house even when a long distance away from the very same BT home hub.

Its starting to annoy me now.

I have ruled out the router as they are the same, My own home has a 16meg connection, my parents house has 2!

My parents house if anything has thicker walls and I am using it further away from the home hub.

Can anyone offer any thoughts?

TIA

Tesla MP3 2021
More interference in your house that affects the Asus more than the Tosh maybe?

As a suggestion try changing the channel in the Home Hub, if you can.

SLK 350
Adam speaketh the truth, get some monitoring software like NetStumbler, run it and see what networks you detect, note the channels they are on and when reconfiguring your router, choose one that's free.

Cheers guys thats great only thing is (and I am really embarassed here :eek:) Its actually a sky netgear router that both me and my parents have!!! It says on it channel 6 (on the router sticker with the password etc)

Is it a similar process but on the sky website

N00b...

ITB'd MK1
we have this signal booster that plugs into the mains power supply from the router. Not quite sure how it works, but the signal all over the house is fantastic. I'm 2 floors above the router and i have 4/5 bars of signal

Tesla MP3 2021
Have a play with changing the channels, go from 1 upwards and see if anyone help with improving the wireless connection to your Tosh.

Just thought I would update the thread.

None of the above worked. So I had to actually go to the effort of googling it!! The s**t you guys pull eh!

Anyway its a common problem as the drivers the nebook ship with were wrote by Babbage himself. Simply updating the drivers solved the problem.

Can't believe you guys didn't think of that - little dissapointed tbh ;)