ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd Tyres

Renault Clio 182
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum having not long bought myself a clio ('05 182 Black, Full fat with 44k on the clock) which I am very pleased with. However, the car has 4 odd tyres on it, one of which (front nearside) will need replacing soon - the other front has plenty of tread left.

I'm in two minds as to what to do because I don't really like the idea of having 4 odd tyres. My initial thoughts were to replace both the fronts regardless and put the front with plenty of tread on the rear. It seems a bit wasteful to buy 4 when I have 3 tyres with plenty of life left even though they do not match.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated :)

Clio 200 Cup
Personally I'd change both fronts for a matching pair as soon as I could afford it.
Ideally I'd change the rears too so they match the front - but this is money dependant.
Unless you are doing track work or driving VERY hard on the road, you shouldn't have any problems.

On the other hand - you could stick four new matching tyres on, and ebay the mismatched tyres as single part-worns to offset the cost.

Chocolate Orange 172
Buy some part worn or new tyres that are all the same and then sell the good ones to get some money back, I would do that if you want all 4 tyres to be the same!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Unevenly worn tyres would be a larger worry for me than having different tread patterns I think :S

One side is a few years old, hard and has 3mm left, the other is new, soft and has 10mm of tread... I'm sure you'll be fine but there'll be one wet corner one day that bites you.

I'd personally get a new set all round and flog the old ones. eBay or on here, someone will want one or two.

I've actually just done this with my current rubber. The 'old' tyres are in perfect working order and had 2 people interested within about 12 hours and they've sold before they've come off the car !