ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd Williams Oil Usage and Capacity

My car has used what seems to be average amounts of oil since I bought it, taking a litre every 1000-1200 miles, but yesterday morning when I got in the car, the guage was sitting much lower than it was the previous night, at just over 1/2.

I made a mental note to buy some oil later, and went about my 50 mile journey. Parked up etc... When I came back to the car, the oil guage was even lower, about 1/4, so I checked the dipstick a few times to see what it indicated.

Level on the dipstick was a couple of mm over the minimum mark, so I headed straight for Halfords to buy a few litres.

As I understood it, these engines take about 5 litres of oil, so I put in about 3.5-4 litres, turned the engine over, then checked a couple more times.

This quick top-up had put my oil level at nearly double the maximum level!

Had to drive home like it, and ended up getting stuck in the jams, so Im hoping it didnt do any harm... Checked oil level again when I got back and it was still the same, so not sure where the oil was leaking from if at all!

Any help on this strange sequence of events would be really really appreciated.

oh dear!!!!

4 litres!!!

Max amount of oil in the engine is 6 litres....absolute MAX

the difference between max and minimum on teh dipstick is only about 2.6ltrs.

Basically you just overfilled it, minimum oil level doesnt mean its empty, it means that its on the near minimum required amount of oil.......which is about 3 litrs or so.

so you now have about 7 ltrs in there! lol..

drain some out.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 30 January 2004

the difference between max and minimum on teh dipstick is only about 2.6ltrs.
Doh.

I assumed the difference would be greater than that!! :oops:

Will drain some out before I use it again.. didnt want to do it in the driving snow tho yesterday eve hehe

Would it have done any harm coming home like it?

How far above max can you go, its not that easy getting it dead on. Will a few mm above the max mark on the dip stick be withing tolerance level?

A litre sounds a lot every 1000-1200miles (even if it is within Renaults acceptable limits) but obviously its using a fair bit more now.

My valver only uses about 250ml / 1K miles.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Also never use the in car gauge its pants, always used the dip stick when the car is cold.

I was out on my last fill and put a bit much in - which as far as im aware isnt great for the engine!!

My Willie has used from Max at the last service in July to 1/2 way between the Max and Min last weekend when I refilled it.

Quote: Originally posted by steve a on 30 January 2004

Also never use the in car gauge its pants, always used the dip stick when the car is cold.
Everyone says that, but mine seem pretty accurate.

Always corresponds to the same level on the dip stick......

Now I know that the difference between min and max is only around 2.6 litres, it doesnt seem Im using as much oil as I first thought.

Wont know for definate until I keep tabs on it over the next few weeks though

Skoda Fabia vRS

before you drive it again, drain some out

DONT drive it again with so much oil in it.............

Willy2

neil, i once overfilled my old mans car with oil and it forced the top cap off and soaked the engine, it was a total b*gger to clean, I dont think it helps as it puts too much internal pressure on the engine. Get under it and drain that oil, son!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the main things that happens if you overfill it is oil is pushed into the breather system and burnt buy the engine so some lovely blue/white exhaust emissions.it could also create a oil leak from oil being pushed past the seals.