ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Offside driveshaft seized

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Hi all,

Removing my offside driveshaft (182) to sort out a tired CV boot while the car is apart for suspension work.

Driveshaft came out of the hub no trouble. I've removed the bearing retaining plate held on by two bolts (although not sure if this was required?) in theory the second half of the shaft should just pull out right? Seems to be seized solid. Looks original and guessing it hasn't been out in a long time, if at all.

Gave it a good few whacks with a big hammer through a bit of wood but it's not going anywhere.

The three bolts holding the centre bearing block to the engine block are free, so I could probably just remove em, take the whole 2 part shaft out from the diff and either work on it on the bench, or just not worry about it.

Haven't done this before, will I need to drop the box oil first? Anything else I should know?

Cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Decided to give it a go anyway. It was tight and required a couple light taps with the hammer, but it came off, an no oil in my face. Result.

I'd ideally like to sort it out so I could reinstall properly, but as I don't really know how it's supposed to disassemble I'm not sure where it's seized.

Is the long portion of shaft supposed to pull off and the short section remains in the bearing? Is the bearing supposed to come out of the block and the whole shaft removes as one with bearing on the shaft?

If anyone has a useful pic or diagram that'd be much appreciated. [emoji106]
23646b9b0bc5f412e4cc32f437e9edbb.jpg

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Sorted.

Incase anyone with the same problem stumbles across this - remove the whole bearing carrier from the block as I did above, then with the shaft out, stand it on the gearbox end and give the bearing carrier some taps with a hammer on two opposite sides.
6c850f5c6b45df43dcfb2dfa8ebf4206.jpg