ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oh dear! help? bleeding my coolant, mistake?

ive never did this before and despite all the searches ther was a vague sdescription how to do it and i followed it so far so good then removed the other pipe and slurrp!!:S

right so ive taken of the bottom rad hose and watched it all gush out and removed the top rad hose (red) and flushed it through with the hose pipe now runing clear water

next i moved to the expansion tank and ran cold water through it and watched it come out of the bottom rad hose and ran clear
then forced water through the top pipe (blue) and watched the water coem thruough clean.

then!!!!! i removed the green pipe and heard slurrrppp, sucked in so much air and watched more coolant piss from the bottom rad hose, so my question is

should i have removed the green pipe at all because allthuogh coolant was expelled so much air got sucked in and im now worried as to should i not have removed that one or is this all part of the bleeding process to expell all coolant to put new coolant in?

please help asap as im doing it right now!:boring:

thermo.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
It should bleed fine mate just connect everything back up and start filling, it'll be around 7L.

Leave the bleed screw off and coolant should begin to pour out steadily then screw it back in for now.

Top up the tank somewhere around half way and start the engine, wait for it to warm up and top up the coolant as it goes down, open the bleed scew and let any more air out then screw back up.

Leave running for about 20mins or until the fan kicks in and top up as necessary, go for a drive and top up after and check over the next few days

Golf GTD Mk7
did you not just use the bleed screw to do it? :S Thought it was just like how you bled a radiator at home sort of, but on the thermostat housing

did you not just use the bleed screw to do it? :S Thought it was just like how you bled a radiator at home sort of, but on the thermostat housing

nope, i wanted to flush the rad aswell and run it clean and old fluid out, i suppose you could just use the bleed screw but i did it this way to ensure all old fluid was expelled.

didnt want the new fluid (type d) mixing in with the old stuff, wanted a clean flush and clean fluid going in :)

Last edited:
  Lots of Alfas
As above it will be fine as long as the bleed screw is open when you are refilling. Its when you suck air in the brake res you want to worry!!

monaco 172
bumping an old thread here as its the only one i can find with any pictures.

Im going to change my coolant, but i cant seem to find the bleed nipple.

Is it any of the ones in this picture?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
yep where the green circle is

to the left there is a triangle of 3 bolts, it's the top one

monaco 172
cheers dude!

Oh and also, which pipe do i want to be attatching my hose pipe to to flush out all the bad?

Last edited: