ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh dear, i've bought an Audi ...

Something like that ;)

Basically, because of the high miles i do, i tend to buy something, put 10-15k on it then move it on. That way i dont seem to get stung massively by depreciation, especially if i buy sensibly in the 1st place.

The best way :approve:
Loads of ball ache though changing cars, even more so if private plates are involved.
Im getting itchy feet with the 100hp, i ve had it since March, not because I dislike it (although the ride does my head in some mornings) but because I am potentially going to start losing money on it...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'd come down to see the TtwinsT...

(and have my car "tweaked" by FailSport).

I had better check how to do it before you come on down lol ... sure you dont want Budgie adjusting them with the standard 'FFS it wont move, ill get the angle grinder...' ;)

The best way :approve:
Loads of ball ache though changing cars, even more so if private plates are involved.
Im getting itchy feet with the 100hp, i ve had it since March, not because I dislike it (although the ride does my head in some mornings) but because I am potentially going to start losing money on it...

Ah yes, private plates, mines going on the Trophy now, as that's my baby :eek:

Fed up with giving them money all the time as well tbh; its over a grand in the past 5 years in retention fees now :eek:

Re: the 100HP, my motto is 'if its gonna start losing money, get rid of it'. You know what you need to do ...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
And now, for a further update, having done 500 miles in it now, its mostly based on driving:

Steering

When will VAG learn that 'heavy' does not mean 'good feel'. I dont want to feel like a weakling everytime i get to a corner, turning the power steerings assistance down when i load up into a corner is not good. It just feels weird, & doesnt inspire confidence ...

Handling

... which is a shame, as it can actually be punted down the road pretty rapidly!! On my favourite 'testing' roundabout, it will go around quite a bit faster than both the saxo (which was a twitchy fecker) and the Trophy (which tripods), but ultimatedly isnt particularly adjustable, lifting off doesnt really do much, except tighten the line (so no LOOS), although you can feel the rear wheels via Haldex if you play about with the throttle. ESP really kills the fun, so that gets switched off straight away. When the grip does run out, it simply understeers, given the lack of adjustability/ability to get the back end moving, this can be a little disconcerting as you head for the barrier lol.

At 8/10 attack, it will cover ground very quickly, to all those that say it wont keep up with a clio in the twisties. It will. Easily. With a map, it would eat one for breakfast. Imho of course.

Speed

Boosts nicely from 2k up to 4.5k, then tails off. Feels quicker than the Trophy at the lower end of the rev range, but doesnt pester you to thrash it, & theres not really anything to look forwards to at 5k +, so theres no point pushing it hard. A remap would sort the power delivery no doubt, but there is no voice to guide you in your travels, it sounds like a hoover. Motorway work is easy as you can put your foot down in 6th & it just goes, thats torque for you i guess.

Gearchange

Slow & dim-witted is the best way to describe it tbh, the ratios are nicely spaced, but the actually shift, especially from 3rd to 2nd is really poor. You cant rush changes (not even like in a clio, which isnt exactly great) and it constantly feels like there is excessive slack in the linkages. Not sure a short-shift would do anything to help & the throw is quite short already, its the side to side movement of the stick thats iritating.

Brakes

They work, & definately pull the car up quickly, but you can definately feel the kg's they are trying to stop. Serious punishment on a fast downhill section, or a track & they would wilt quickly. Brembo/Porsche brakes would definately be a worthwhile upgrade.

I havent bothered discussing the interior, as its fantastic, or the load space, as its fairly useless, as those are things that you can tell by looking at pictures. In addition, the look of the car, & the image it portrays are entirely down to personal preference.

------

Hopefully, this may give people a slightly deeper insight into what they actually drive like, rather than just listen to hearsay & banter. I'm enjoying it at the moment, but i cant wait to drive the Trophy again. :)

Last edited:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Pretty much exactly what I thought mate. Great review. Unbiased.

There's literally no point in revving it past 5k. Ever. It just makes more noise, nothing actually ramps up.

As you said too, there's loads of grip, just zero feel. Not really confidence-inspiring or fun at all.

It's the exact opposite of an RS Twingo, the TT.

Try a Custom Code remap for the after 5k issue lad.

Agreed on the steering. But ESP is switched off before you put your seatbelt on, not while driving ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I know what you were saying about the gearchange and boost, I drove 3 when I wanted one and they all felt the same.

It really is imo just a cruiser, I was hitting good corners at good speed but it just always felt heavy, obviously jumping in and out of smaller cars didn't help but for that time when I did want a blast it wouldn't have given me what I wanted.

I left with the impression that they need modded and then i'm sure I woyuld enjoy it more. But I wouldn't buy a car that I instantly thought needed mods.

Z4
Fit autopilot. Remove steering wheel. Install hot tub.

lol.

People are probably bored of me harping on about how tts are boring so I'm not even going down that road! ...although they are ;) Deceptively progressive though it has to be said.

Hope you enjoy it Dave, all my respect for your car knowledge has just gone! :)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
The TT 225 went round the ring in 8.42.

Same time as a MK1 Exige!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Gave the mobile hair saloon a quick wash & dry the other day, so took some pictures for posterity - its not often that i get the bucket & wash mit out these days :eek: Anyway, its a pretty colour ...

DSC03714.jpg

DSC03720.jpg

DSC03732.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

DSC03740.jpg

DSC03741.jpg

DSC03744.jpg

DSC03772.jpg

DSC03797.jpg

Terrible image if you're a bloke (luckily i couldnt give a rats ar5e), but a great day to day car imho. Especially now its cold & frosty, heated seats & a good heater FTW.

On the motorway its great, with decent pull in 6th whenever you like, also averaging 35mpg on the commute, with more on tap if i remove the lead from my right foot. Luckily the stereo is awesome though, as someone seems to have left a rattly washing machine under the bonnet.