ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil and filter change guide

Clio 182 cup
Has anybody made a guide on how to change the oil and filter for a 172 cup, had a look but couldn't find anything.

anyone.................. pretty please?

Become a member and you can read it.

I'd copy the text but I didn't write it drop Danlp6 a message and see if he'll agree to put a copy up here but since I didnd't do the guide I don't feel I have any right to copy it.

You will need:
- 5l oil, new sump plug seal, oil filter
- 10mm socket to remove undertray
- Sump plug key (7 or 8mm square socket – can’t remember which)
- Suitable ratchet
- Possibly, a strap wrench to remove the old filter
- Catch tray; eg. old oil can with the side cut out
- Clean rags

1. Take the car for a run to warm and thin the oil. Don’t get it too hot.
2. With the undertray removed and a catch tray under the sump plug, start to undo the plug with the key/ratchet. Once it has started to turn, remove it carefully by hand together with the old sealing washer. Be careful as the oil will be hot.
3. Whilst it’s draining (will take a few minutes), clean the sump plug with a rag and fit the new sealing washer over it. Once it has finished draining, wipe any excess oil from the sump and refit the plug/seal nice and tight.
4. Remove the oil filter – it may or may not spin off by hand (counterclockwise). If it doesn’t, use a strap wrench. Clean the mating face on the block once the old filter has been removed.
5. Pour a little of the fresh oil into the new filter so that it starts to soak it up; smear a little of the oil around the rubber seal on the filter and spin it on to the engine – tighten it by hand only.
6. Pour your fresh oil into the engine slowly; stuff rags around the filler aperture to minimise the risk of spills.
7. Clean up any spills around the sump/filter/filler.
8. Take the car for a run and bring it back to check the oil level and to check for leaks.
9. If it’s all OK, replace the undertray.

Iceberg 172
Where do people get the sump plug washer from? And is any make of oil filter recommended?

filter is about £7 from Renault.

I got my sump plug washer for free, the dude just chucked it in the box for me.

Where do people get the sump plug washer from? And is any make of oil filter recommended?

Reanult its £1.10 last time I checked.
Make sure you get the one with the rubber inser but not just the plain copper washer which is 10p ish.

Clio 182 cup
i ordered the washer but i don't know if it comes with the rubber seal. Does that def have to be replaced at the same time?

Clio 182 cup
Just spoke to someone at renault and they reckon that the washer includes a plastic insert in the washer and thats all you need to replace? Anybody know if thats correct?

^ that's right - they're called dowty seals; there's a rubber seal bonded to the inside diameter of the washer

Clio 182 cup
Are there any torque settings for doing up the sump plug coz i here that can be a b**ch to do? Been told to hand tighten, then do up with a wrench and turn the bolt 1/4 of a turn.

Are there any torque settings for doing up the sump plug coz i here that can be a b**ch to do? Been told to hand tighten, then do up with a wrench and turn the bolt 1/4 of a turn.

40Nm from memory it not much.

I do them up and then try go for a drive then check them again.