ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change then tappet noise.... Head scratcher

Clio 172
Hi guys,

Just got some great help from Jaff so thought I would try my luck with a second issue I am experiencing. I have just changed my aux belt and tensioner on my Clio 172 (2002) No noises now, so I was well chuffed! I then did an oil (Shell 5w40 Mineral) and oil filter (Mann Filter) change. When the engine is cold its quiet as a mouse, however when warm it it becomes really quite noise. The noise is coming from the lifters i think. It isn't localised to the timing belt or def pulley. I have read on the forum that mineral oil can be the cause and I have also heard that certain oil filters can starve the lifters or oil. It seems illogical to me as I would expect the oil to be free moving when warm thusly lubricating the engine better. Has anyone had the same experience and is their an oil brand/type and filter that could rectify the issue? Thanks all!!

shell 5w40 is not Mineral oil, I cant find a 5w40 oil that is not called synthetic.
Any 5w40 oil is correct, I would change the oil filter for a genuine one for peace of mind,then take it for a Italian tune up.

Clio 172
I thought dephaser initially as it was almost the quintessential diesel sound but the noise is all the way along the head not just the left hand side (from the front).

I suppose the noise could always have been there (only had the car a week) but the noise of the aux belt tensioner washed it out. Either way I'm baffled by it!! Any thoughts welcomed.

Clio 172
shell 5w40 is not Mineral oil, I cant find a 5w40 oil that is not called synthetic.
Any 5w40 oil is correct, I would change the oil filter for a genuine one for peace of mind,then take it for a Italian tune up.
I was told it was mineral, but if it's not I suppose it rules that out as a suspect. I will call Renault in the morning and get a genuine oil filter... Thanks bud

Clio 172
does sound more like dephaser, the noise can travel along the cam and sound less localized.
Ahh ok didn't realise that... Gutted as I've only just done the aux kit! Timing belt I can deal with, the dephaser pulley i will need to look up... Hopefully in the guides section.
Thanks to Bloke, MicKPM and flebay for your help!!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Dephaser is simple enough to rule out:
  • Firstly - Do not listen to Jaff... he knows nothing unless it's a diesel train
  • Secondly - run the car until it is up to correct "normal" temp
  • Thirdly - Confirm the noise is present at idle and then raise the engine speed to 2-2.5kRPM - If the noise vanishes, 100% dephaser

IMG-20110203-00005.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's an age related failure which some say is due to infrequent oil changes where others say it's due to sitting in traffic... all we know is, you're better off changing them at the time of changing your timing belt rather than not.

Mick

Clio 172
She has just galloped past 140k so I shouldn't b overly surprised I suppose. Can I do much damage using it in this condition or should I down keys and start saving?