ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil consumption advice needed...

Renault Clio Sport 182
Simple question...

I own a 182FF. I put in 1litre of oil exactly 1287miles ago, and now my car tells me its out of oil again. How long should 1litre of oil last?

Cheers in advance

Clio 197 F1
I think you should be putting more than 1 litre in, and if your can has no problems then it shoudn't loose any oil.

Renault Clio Sport 182
I only put a litre on because I thought it may have been burning oil/leaking, so it was a test to see how long 1litre lasts. I will put in more this time, but just wanted to be sure it wasnt using excessive amounts of oil.

Da

Less
A Clio 182 holds just over 5 litres of oil. 1 litre is quite alot to use in such a short distance.

How do you know it's 'out of oil'??

albi 197
Tbh mine drinks oil, gotta go and buy another 5 litres tomorrow as Im having to constantly top it up. My previous engine was the same, except I didn't cater for its needs and it broke.

120d M-Sport
I think this is the same on all Renault engines. They all seem to suck oil like nothing. 1 Litre of oil won't last me 300miles before the clocks saying its empty and its not leaking either. Car just get abused all the time so guess thats down to me lol! Not had a service in like 15 to 20k aswel. Still going strong FTW!!! :D

182 cup
most cars that have tuned engines tend to use about a litre every 1000-1500 miles when i worked for alfa it was about 2 every 1kk lol

most cars that have tuned engines tend to use about a litre every 1000-1500 miles

mmmm, thats quite a statement :quiet:

If your using a litre of your oil in under 5k I think its safe to assume you have a pressure leak, possibly through a bolt or gasket, either way its excessive.

A4 Avant
I never had to top up the oil on my trophy or my 172.

I'd pop into a garage and get it checked over.

I've never needed to top the oil up in my 172 or 182 between services!!

1 litre per every 1000 miles?! Jesus lol.

Nimbus 197
My Vectra used to use a litre every 500-600 miles, Vauxhall said that was OK!!!

Strangely it just stopped using oil one day, and hasn't since.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
As with a few others, I've not had to top my Cup up between services. (5-6k).

Even my Skip Brown 205 barely used any oil.

Laguna 2, Westfield
I think this is the same on all Renault engines. Car just get abused all the time so guess thats down to me lol! Not had a service in like 15 to 20k aswel. Still going strong FTW!!! :D

Wont be long until it goes bang (hopefully) :) if you cant be arsed to get it serviced - its not the same on all renault engines. Its only abused cars/worn engines (that arent serviced) seem to use oil, the only renault engine i have known to use oil was my girfriends old Williams as it was abused daily from cold(she was young!) the engine was getting tired, and it was rattely from cold. It still worked ok and gave good power but liked to use oil.
My 182 however that has been cared for from new never uses any at all.
Same with my daily 1.8 16v Laguna(similar engine to 182 just smaller) on 123k miles, never uses a drop.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Mine needs a litre-ish top up every 2500-3000 miles or so, generally every 3 months or so......which I keep on top of and normally top it up every 1000 miles to keep it near the top dip stick mark. I change my oil every 6 months too. Magnatec 10W40 in the spring, and 5W40 in the autumn.

I have a nearly 90k 53 plate 172 Cup, that I think has had a hard life lol. It did have a full (not all Ren) service history which I looked through at the time of leaving the deposit, however the garage I bought it from 250 miles away forgot to put it in the car when I collected it, and when asked they kindly posted it......which I never received.....and basically they couldnt be arsed to find out why even after many a heated (read: abusive) phonecall.....grumble grumble.

Think from what I have heard from this thread and several others RenaultSport engines have varying degrees of tollerance quality......some are good with oil, some are bad......and then some are really bad.....esp the ones that arnt serviced regulary.

Looks like I spoke too soon. When I last checked it a couple of months ago it was just under half on the dipstick. Came up this weekend saying it was empty, filled it up and it took 2 litres. So its used about 2 litres in 8.5k.

Yes it came up on the dash saying it was out. I do generally check it with the stick every month or two though.

a thirsty one
mine is done evry 6k or 6 months roughly and had to top it up once half way through a track day but even doing 3 or 3 track days between oil changes it is still fine.

what oil are you using? grade?

oh jesus H himself :nono:

ONCE A WEEK CHECK THE DIPSTICK!

alright calm down.. now I know I will do. I thought every one or two months was regular enough. How many people religiously check it EVERY WEEK or even at all?

I'm using 5w 40 fully synth.

Lionel Richie
wasn't aiming specifically at you, so apologies, a new engine is over £3k and by not checking your oil regularly you're mad

a thirsty one
i have been using mobil 1 0w-40 because it is cheap at costco and even though its a bit thinner still hasnt been using any.

hold my hands up only check dipstick every month and rely on the dash digital level gauge weekly.

2001 172
Am I reading this wrong, or did you run it on just 1 litre of oil for 1300 miles?

I've had my 172 for 5000 miles and I've been keeping an eye on it because its new to me, and it hasn't used a drop

Am I reading this wrong, or did you run it on just 1 litre of oil for 1300 miles?

I've had my 172 for 5000 miles and I've been keeping an eye on it because its new to me, and it hasn't used a drop

From what I've read I think the OP meant he's checked the dipstick, took a note of what level it was, then put a litre of oil in, then kept checking the oil level till it reached the same level as it was originally.

I check my oil every few days or so but I'm a little paranoid because I neglected checking the dipstick with one car I had, doesn't take a genius to work out what happened but it was a new engine job.

2001 172
was gonna say, to rely on 1 litre of oil to lubricate, clean and cool your engine really isn't a good idea.

click click click ......pop

L

lenny85

mines using about 1 litre every 600 miles but varies every weekend lol any thoughts? regularly serviced, just had dephaser pulley changed which solved knocking noise but not the oil. seems to be burning from state of exhaust but - - no blue smoke on startup or revving or when booting it!! really stuck for ideas now.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I always check my engine oil with the dipstick every week. Anyone who doesn't needs their head checking.
It's quite possibly the simplest and most effortless task required to look after a car. There's no excuse for not doing it.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I must say i'm pretty shocked by the quantity of oil some of you guys are using, i've had two 172's phase 1 (on 113k) & phase 2 (on 57k) and neither have required topping up between servicing intervals about 6k, both are driven hard aswell....

Clio Sport 172
Hey guys,

Im a newbie on here.. Have had my 172 for around 2 months now.. year of manufacture 2002, done 52k miles.

I had the service light come on after about a month after an oil check at startup so topped up the oil with half a litre.. this vanished within about 3-4 weeks, so have topped up another half litre (brought the dipstick level to just over halfway) and will be seeing how long this lasts... but its looking like its using alot of oil either way. I know some of u have the same problem but alot of u dont so i'll be taking it into the garage and seeing what they say.. I've heard it may be hard to pinpoint exactly whats wrong tho, i'll let u know how i get on.

Have any of the peeps on here with high oil usage managed to get the problem solved? if so what was up? I was guessing maybe the pistons/rings if its been driven hard in previous life but i cant see any blue smoke out of the exhaust..

cheers!
Muz