ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil cooler cover for winter?

Im running a 13 row oil cooler with a thermo sandwich plate and have been for a while now, but with the cold weather were going to get its best i nock up some sort of cover for it as the sandwhich plate still flows some oil through to the cooler even if its not upto operating temperature.

My question is could I use something as simple as cooking tinfoil with the shiny side facing inwards to wrap my oil cooler up with to keep the cold air from passing through the fins. I know the foil wont keep much heat in with the freezing temperatures BUT will it help to stop wind chill through the fins so the oil has more of a chance to get warm on a cold morning?

Pete

I guess so as it would block the cold air, but tis thick and hard to wrap around the cooler and fix in place. i think il try the foil as i can just use my hands to scrunch it around the arqward shape of it but use a shed load of it then some duct tape around it a few times.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Surely if you've got the thermo sandwich plate, it won't circulate until its up to temp? Or do they still flow slightly like a car thermostat?

they still allow a small amount of oil to flow through as her not 100% shut. The oil need all the help it can get to get upto temp over winter.

172 cup
Another vote for cardboard here,its surprisingly insulating and will block out the airflow.Have used it in the past for this very problem on an old mini.

Cheers Ross.

182cup & 172 racecar
I actually had a piece of cardboard wedged in my bottom grill yesterday,I had to do some short trips into town.Got up to temp nice and quick,toasty warm.

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes just blocked off the whole bottom grill.If we get a long cold spell, I might get something a little better looking than a fyffes banana box.