ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil from bolts....... help please

Clio 200 & Golf GTD
:mad: hi all, I have noticed oil coming from 2 bolts on top of the engine that I think are the head bolts or cam/ rocker cover Best to describe this is there are 4 bots in partial view restricted by the inlet manifold (noticed when I could smell burning oil and only visible once I removed the plastic engine cover). Oil is coming from the 2nd and third bolt. Does this mean I need a new head gasket or is it just the cam/ rocker cover gasket. I have only had the Clio 1 week so dont know my way round the engine which is very different from my scooby.

Please can anyone advise if they have seen this problem and is it severe (stop driving straight away) or is it a small and cheap fix :S

Lionel Richie
very common, if its just the bolts its an easy fix

to reseal the entire rocker cover is a 7hour job

a thirsty one
Quite a few threads but basically buy some good sealant whip the bolt out, clean, line of sealant under bolt head, nip back up. Had to do mine takes about an hour I guess including time to get inlet manifold off etc

I used some wynns black gasket stuff 20 from local car parts.

Clio 200 & Golf GTD
thank you guys, so not as bad as i thought then :) this morning the ECU light was on after degreasing the engine (had to do this to determin where the leak was coming from as the oil had gone as far as the sump so impossible to locate the leak without doing it). i was very careful not to wet electrical connections but still the car was idling poorly and had no power like it was running on 2/3 cylinders bugger :(

i have now taken out the spark plugs that seemed to have water on them cleaned them up, reset the ECU and all seems fine at the moment. as i removed the air inlet manifold to get to the spar plugs i could get to the bolts that didnt seem that tight, for the moment i have just tightened them and i will see how this goes, if oil still leaks then i will go with your suggestions.

BMW 118d
Keep water away from the engine mate, it's the worst contributing factor to electrical problems. Just use a degreasing agent or even brake spray but just don't steam clean.

H

Haz1

Sorry for jumping on this guys thread but i think ive got the same problem what damage can this do if left unsolved