ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil grade meaning pls

what on earth does the 15W50 grade oil mean?

moreover,

what do any of the grades mean?

what is better for what engine types?

...and anything else u think is relevant.

cheers folks

d

Skoda Fabia vRS

the first number is its cold rating, the other is its hot rating, and they relate to how thick the oil is at certain temperatures

if ur car runs hot, like a 16v or willy, then id suggest a 50 rating, as they stay thick enough at high temps

hi all :) another happy user of valver on Cliosport forum :)

Clue to understand my nick - Im from Poland - warsaw & maciek is name - Matt :) so hi again.

I personally use Castrol RS 10W60 - find it thick enough.

BUT::: if i had something erm... new which didnt make 50kkm :) id even use SLX 0W30 so many people reccomended it to me

I heard from people drivin EVO V or Audi S4 (upgraded to bout 330 hp) and other... perf.cars using SLX0W30 that everything is perfectly allright with their engines, AND ... there is a little more response when depressing pedal :) and car seems to be simply a bit more powerful and happier reeving :) in comparison to normal grade oils . and they sometimes go to race 1/4miles so not sunday drivers.. :)

they claim that unless you drive pedal to the metal really ALL the time its the first choice .

Skoda Fabia vRS

another thing which is important is how much mileage your car has done and its age, my RT, not being a performance car and 10 years old, wont have been designed as well as other cars, and certainly new models, so it needs a thicker oil so that the oil doesnt seep into places where it shouldnt

the reason you use a 0W or a 5W on some engines is because they are new and have been built very well, a 172 should be using a 5W, at most a 10W