ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak?!?

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Was just checking the oil today and noticed some oil sitting under the inlet manifold. Any ideas where this could be coming from? Should I be worried. Not going to be able to getit into a garage until Friday. It is due a service anyway
IMAG0123.jpgIMAG0124.jpgIMAG0122.jpg

Lionel Richie
yeah rocker cover leaking, it may just be the odd one or 2 bolts, but "normally" it needs resealing (big and expensive job before you ask!)

RB 182 cup,astra sri
yeah rocker cover leaking, it may just be the odd one or 2 bolts, but "normally" it needs resealing (big and expensive job before you ask!)
How much we talking then for that? What are the consequences of not doing it straight away.

182cup & 172 racecar
It happens a lot,some people have got away with undoing the bolts,putting sealer around them ,and doing them back up.

Clio 182
To get the rocker cover off involves removing the timing belt as you have to take the cam sprockets off to get the rocker cover off. Do the 20 seconds of cleaning and sealing, then cover back on, cam sprockets on a bit then new timing belt and re-time and tension and so on

Clio 182
i dont think its really the end of the world as its not like your oil pressure will suffer with a leak there, as long as you keep an eye on your oil level which will take a while to drop still. Mainly just aesthetic really.

Is it poss to remove the upper plenum and proper clean and degrease around the joint and clear silicone it externally? Not perfect but a compromise?

ITB'd MK1
worth checking the sparkplug wells too. Laingos was full of oil past the top of the plug when i did his cambelt back whenever it was, had been pissing out the breather plate

RB 182 cup,astra sri
I only got the cambelt done in November. Could it be that the guy who did it didnt tighten it on enough? Or should he jVe used sealer before putting it back on.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
cost me about £500 to have mine sorted when it had the exact same issue :(

I didnt want to hear that! I am tempted to just leave it for just now and keep an eye on it. Will clean it up and check on it on a weekly basis. Cant afford that just now and if its not going to be a major problem (unless it leaks onto the cambelt).

Is it worth speaking to the guy that done my cambelt to see if it was maybe something that he hasnt tightened enough or put sealant on? Is it worth trying what someone said earlier and taking the bolts out and putting sealant on them and tightening them up again to see if that makes a difference?

Lionel Richie
I only got the cambelt done in November. Could it be that the guy who did it didnt tighten it on enough? Or should he jVe used sealer before putting it back on.

the guy doing the cambelt should've advised that it needed doing then, i would suggest he doesn't know what he's doing

RB 182 cup,astra sri
the guy doing the cambelt should've advised that it needed doing then, i would suggest he doesn't know what he's doing

It was Kenneth Brown in Glasgow that did it. A lot of people have had it done by him on here and he used to setup cup racers so i thought he would be as good as anyone to do the job. Saying that, it would have been good if he had picked this up when doing it. I might give him a call.

Lionel Richie
well he obviously isn't as good as people say then, if i saw one like that it would be resealed, dumb not to!

RB 182 cup,astra sri
well he obviously isn't as good as people say then, if i saw one like that it would be resealed, dumb not to!

Is it possible though that it has only gotten like that since the belt was done and whilst it might not have been noticeable at the time as much as in the photo, it would have been sensible to reseal it.

What i am getting at is do i have a case to argue that it should have been done and therefore i shouldnt neccesarily have to stump up the cash for him to put it right?

VaVa
worth checking the sparkplug wells too. Laingos was full of oil past the top of the plug when i did his cambelt back whenever it was, had been pissing out the breather plate

Saved me the post lol.

Mine was SWIMMING in oil. My rocker still leaks, but doesn't really lose anything significant.

GT86, 335, Westfield
Where did you get yours done z8jay?

I'm in a similar position to craigp172cup, my below was changed in October..

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Took the car to kenneth brown today. He is pretty sure it is coming up from the bolts (all of them). Recommends that I put sealant on all bolts and see how it goes. It isnt loosing major amounts to be too worried about. If that doesnt work it will have to be stripped down and properly resealed. It isnt near the belt either so thats a relief.

a thirsty one
mine started this as well on 55k mileage and only had the belts done a few months ago, gutted.

i assume the process is

1. remove upper inlet
2. remove bolt 1 at a time and put silicone in the hole and on the bolt thread itself
3. re insert bolt upto 14nm and repeat on all the bolts on the side you think are leaking

??

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Hopefully this should olve the problem for mine. If not, its going to cost about 250 to strip down and fully seal. Will give this a go first anyway.

182 FF
I've got the same problem with mine, its leaking from the breather plate onto the manifold and smoking. Priced up a new gasket at Renault and it was £65!!!!!!!!!!!

a thirsty one
thanks fred, must have misread a post earlier. just need to find a torque wrench that goes as low as 14nm and nipping to gsf for some sealant.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
UPDATE

Cleaned the rocker cover and the area around it including the bolts etc. Going to monitor it to see how much oil is actually leaking. Will look in 100 miles to see. I took some photos of it cleaned, and will compare them to ones 100 miles from now and post up here for people to see. If it isnt that bad, will probably leave it for now. Just wanted to make sure it isnt going to get anywhere near the belt.

Used muc off to clean it! that stuff is great for cleaning engine bay! the oil just wipes striaght off! Now left with 3/4 litre of it and wondering what else its useful for around the car!

a thirsty one
also had a go at mine today, it was the bottom left nearside area and some oil had pooled up in the lower inlet casting leaving me some nice small puddles of oil. easily cleaned it up and removed the bolts in that area and used wynns black gasket sealant. gace it a final clean and will keep an eye on it.

30 minutes in total from start to finish

RB 182 cup,astra sri
also had a go at mine today, it was the bottom left nearside area and some oil had pooled up in the lower inlet casting leaving me some nice small puddles of oil. easily cleaned it up and removed the bolts in that area and used wynns black gasket sealant. gace it a final clean and will keep an eye on it.

30 minutes in total from start to finish

John did you remove the upper plenum or did you manage to get to the bolts without having to remove it?

RB 182 cup,astra sri
^has to come off, its only 7 bolts

Only 7 bolts to take the plenum off? What are all the other things you need to disconnect to get it off though? What about the gasket too? wuold you need to replace the gasket on the plenum if you are taking it off?

Westy. MX5
There are about 3 electrical plugs to disconnect and a couple off small hoses. Look all round the sides of the plenum and you will see them, if you miss one it will be obvious when you carefully lift away the plenum. If the gasket is not damaged then just clean and re-use. If you have not done this before yourself you could also renew the spark plugs, if due.

First steps to diy'ing your car eh! You'll be rebuilding yor engine in a years time ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Last edited:
  RB 182 cup,astra sri
good guide that. how can i confirm what torque all the relevant bolts need to be? i know the ones on the rocker cover are 14nm. what are the rest?

Lionel Richie
There are 15 bolts altogether to get the upper manifold/plenum off :)

4 for the engine cover, 4 in the coilpack if you wish to remove, 2 either side of it on the plenum and the 5 at the front where it meets the lower inlet

It's all in the guide anyway but have a good look around and double check everything when you put it back together!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?517416-clio-172-182-spark-plug-change-a-picture-guide

cups don't have engine covers ;) and you don't remove the coilpack ;)