ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil leak

clio 182
hi unfortunately my clio dash displayed

SERV light on dash and
---oil--- on trip computer screen

I checked my oil after letting it settle for the night and the dipstick showed signs that I had lost abit of oil.....

so I take my engine undertray off and it's covered in oil aswell as the sump etc and gear linkage etc..but then i find these 2 suspicious looking items on the undertray
20161007_172010.jpg
they don't fit together so that's worrying me more.

after cleaning the excess oil away 2hours later I had a look and found oil collecting here (red ring)
and is something missing from the dogbone?
20161007_180949.jpg

so I have an oil leak
big bolt missing
small nut missing

somebody please help me haha

dan's cast offs.
nut goes with the bolt that's missing off the dogbone bar, to find the oil leak best to clean everything first and check again after a couple of days, could be from cam bungs or anything below them.

bolt could be from a few things but can't place it 100%. not sure where the tape measure goes either.

clio 182
cheers for that tape measure comment :tonguewink: I used some wd40 degreaser to clean the wet oil areas up but will have to wait till the morning to see what remains.

can someone show me how the dogbone bar should look?

as for the bolt? the only work I've had done (4months ago roughly) is full cambelt serivces etc, oil and spark plugs etc, new altenator, new battery, engine mount and dogbone.

but thanks for help so far guys so far the clio hasn't moved since I found it was leaking. it's only just been mapped at EFI and made 182bhp after chris worked wonders with the car it feels so much better and I know the oil was perfect before because I did all my pre flight safety checks. it still shows an oil level on the dipstick but has definatley lost .5L on my driveway and under the car is covered from where the wind has blown it back under the car!

dan's cast offs.
just stick bolt through the hole in the bar/bracket.

check the upper bolts on the lower inlet and make sure they are all there.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I had oil leaking badly on the cam belt side.

I spend hours looking and i could not see where it was coming from and it turns out it was the cam seal on that side so while it was in for the cam belt the whole lot was stripped and new cam seal replaced along with sump gasket, I believe the oil sump and pump need to be removed to change the seal.

cheers for that tape measure comment :tonguewink: I used some wd40 degreaser to clean the wet oil areas up but will have to wait till the morning to see what remains.

can someone show me how the dogbone bar should look?

as for the bolt? the only work I've had done (4months ago roughly) is full cambelt serivces etc, oil and spark plugs etc, new altenator, new battery, engine mount and dogbone.

but thanks for help so far guys so far the clio hasn't moved since I found it was leaking. it's only just been mapped at EFI and made 182bhp after chris worked wonders with the car it feels so much better and I know the oil was perfect before because I did all my pre flight safety checks. it still shows an oil level on the dipstick but has definatley lost .5L on my driveway and under the car is covered from where the wind has blown it back under the car!
DSC_00102_zps2456b067.jpg

clio 182
@flebay nice thanks for that I'm definatley missing the bolt from the dogbone bar!
would that explain my recent on going small oil leak?

clio 182
@flebay I'd already done that cleaned away and waited for the drip return.

I ran the engine on tick over for 15mins to warm up and the oil drip was dripping every minute or 2 when warm? (but no oil light or warning like last time)??

I can't seem to trace where it's coming from though? it looks like it coming from between the engine and gearbox casing if that's possible?

I will try to upload something that might help

@flebay I'd already done that cleaned away and waited for the drip return.

I ran the engine on tick over for 15mins to warm up and the oil drip was dripping every minute or 2 when warm? (but no oil light or warning like last time)??

I can't seem to trace where it's coming from though? it looks like it coming from between the engine and gearbox casing if that's possible?

I will try to upload something that might help

Could be the rear main seal or the sump gasket.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/oil-leak-advice-needed-pics.639854/