ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Light and Stop Light On - How to make sure it is the brake pads?

Hi,

I have a 2000 Ph1 172. Today the Oil Light and Stop Light illuminated on my Dashboard (it still said Oil OK on the Trip Computer display when I started the engine) I have checked the Dipstick and it is not low on oil. I have started the engine and looked underneath while it is running and there is no Oil dripping.

I understand it could be the brake pads which are very low on the front and quite low on the rear, these are all going to be replaced asap.

Question I ask though, how can I determine that it IS the brake pads that is causing the warning light and not actually the Oil level or pressure or something else..?

Thank you,
Dan.

do you have a red flickering "(!)" and "STOP" when cornering?

I drove home slowly after the Stop Light and Oil Symbol lit up, it was on the whole time whether I driving in a straight line or going round a corner (Was only a very short drive home)

It went off briefly twice, and has stayed on since. (about 1 mile driving and 3 minutes of the engine running)

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
I think you have made the same mistake I did mate. You have read a previous thread that is incorrect. If your oil pressure warning light comes on (looks like an aladin's lamp) with STOP, it isn't realted to low brakes pads/fluid at all. It's more than likely a failed oil pressure switch.

The light that actually comes on with STOP when you are low on pads/brake fluid is the handbrake light, looks like (!), comes on with STOP.

So your brakes being low isn't anything to do with this light coming on.

Hope that helps.

I think you have made the same mistake I did mate. You have read a previous thread that is incorrect. If your oil pressure warning light comes on (looks like an aladin's lamp) with STOP, it isn't realted to low brakes pads/fluid at all. It's more than likely a failed oil pressure switch.

The light that actually comes on with STOP when you are low on pads/brake fluid is the handbrake light, looks like (!), comes on with STOP.

So your brakes being low isn't anything to do with this light coming on.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Woke up this morning to find out my car is leaking oil. Not alot, but it is :(

How can I determine if its Engine Oil or Gearbox Oil? Because the Engine Oil is still showing the same reading as yesterday afternoon.. Or is the aladin's lamp like warning light nothing to do with Gearbox Oil?

Thanks,
Dan.

Mk5 golf gti
Thank you.

Woke up this morning to find out my car is leaking oil. Not alot, but it is :(

How can I determine if its Engine Oil or Gearbox Oil? Because the Engine Oil is still showing the same reading as yesterday afternoon.. Or is the aladin's lamp like warning light nothing to do with Gearbox Oil?

Thanks,
Dan.

its probs leaking from the oil pressure switch

if you dont know what to with that then take it a garage lol

its probs leaking from the oil pressure switch

if you dont know what to with that then take it a garage lol

If someone can point me in the right direction to diagnose it myself and I can fix it myself, I'd rather do that than risk driving it to a garage and paying over the odds!

PH2 172
Lol at 'Aladdin's Lamp'

My Oil Pressure light used to come on intermittently, took it to a garage and had the oil pressure switch changed, was about 50 quid i think, although i did have a few other things done. After that all was fine for about 4 months, and not it comes on again randomly, maybe one/twice a week for no more than 20 seconds, im just leaving it for the time being...

Lol at 'Aladdin's Lamp'

My Oil Pressure light used to come on intermittently, took it to a garage and had the oil pressure switch changed, was about 50 quid i think, although i did have a few other things done. After that all was fine for about 4 months, and not it comes on again randomly, maybe one/twice a week for no more than 20 seconds, im just leaving it for the time being...

Was your car actually leaking oil..?