ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil light

172 cup
Hi guys, I was just wondering about what the oil light should do on start up, it comes on with the ignition then goes of but my cousin seems to think it should stay on until the at is actually started up and got the oil pressure up

Cheers jack

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
not completely wrong. the engine may struggle to get up oil pressure until its running at idle, so its possible for the light to stay on for a few seconds after turning ignition on

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
not completely wrong. the engine may struggle to get up oil pressure until its running at idle, so its possible for the light to stay on for a few seconds after turning ignition on

That would indicate a fault, which was not the question the OP was asking.

If everything is functioning properly, then the light should come on, then go out after 2/3 seconds with all the others.

I don't know of many engines that can achieve oil pressure before the engine is running.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
what i was getting at is when the key is turned to start even as the engine turns over the oil light will stay on until the correct pressure is achieved, which is sometimes not until idle.

i could have sworn the oil light stayed on until the pressure was up but i may be being forgetful

You could be right. Pretty sure mine went out before the engine was started (if I let it) and didn't come back on after cranking it.

HBT 172 Cup
My 172 does this to (as i presume every RS does), doesn't make sense to me, i want it glowing at me until my engine is running...