ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil lottery!!

Fiesta TDCI

Can someone please help. I need to top up my oil in a Mk2 172, went to Renault today and bought some stuff that they had, never heard of it and to be honest dont trust Renault as far as I could throw them. They recommended 15w-40 and sold me some crap for £2.30. Went to Halfords and brought Castrol GTX Magnatec 15w-40, is this okay and will it mix okay with the existing stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The stuff thats in there now (from factory) is Elf 10W40 semi-sytnthetic, so you need to top it up with an equivalent oil that complies to ACEA A3 standards.

Take back the 15W50 you got and swap it for the 10W40 stuff...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 06 November 2003

yes, but if its being used to top up then its mixing different grades
Exactly...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Paul Clio 16v on 06 November 2003

I dont think you want to be mixing magnatec and non magnatec oil.
Apparently it will mix "ok" but I wouldnt bother...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Stokesey on 06 November 2003

The stuff Renault gave me was 15w-40 (top quality £2.29 per litre).
So what make is the stuff they gave you?!

And more importantly is itr ACEA A3 rated? Check the back of the label.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Stokesey on 06 November 2003

Motrio 15w 40 and there is no rating on the back!!
Throw it away...

Just take the Magnatec you got in Halfords back, tell them you got the wrong stuff and theyll let you change it no probs.

Skoda Fabia vRS

what the f**k is everyone talking about......lol

all oils WILL mix perfectly fine, do not worry about that, Magnatec WILL mix with other oils, synthetics will mix with minerals, different grades will happily mix together, etc etc

take the oil you have back, tho for a topup it shouldnt do any harm so you can use it if you wanted to

people are correct in saying an A3 rated oil will do however not oils are made equal obviously, and generally speaking the more u spend the better oil u will get

i recommend topping it up with a good fully synthetic 5W-40 or 0W-40, especially seeing as winter is on the way, use something like Mobil 1, Total Quartz 9000, Shell Ultra, Carlube Triple R, or my personal favourite, Silkolene Pro S

in future if you do your own oil changes, or take your own oil to the garage, id suggest buying one of the above, i wouldnt be using a 15W-40 in a new car like a 172.......id use a fully synthetic 5W-40 personally, or Mobil 1 0W-40

"...recommend topping it up with a good fully synthetic 5W-40 or 0W-40, especially seeing as winter is on the way, use something like Mobil 1, Total Quartz 9000, Shell Ultra, Carlube Triple R, or my personal favourite, Silkolene Pro S! in future if you do your own oil changes, or take your own oil to the garage, id suggest buying one of the above, i wouldnt be using a 15W-40 in a new car like a 172.......id use a fully synthetic 5W-40 personally, or Mobil 1 0W-40!..."
Pefectly true and my point exactly, but I must disagree with You on toping up with the magnatec or any other oil if You are not sure which oil exactly is in the engine already! Do not do that and just replace existing oil with the new one!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 07 November 2003

id use a fully synthetic 5W-40 personally
Even though there is a Renault tech documnet that says NOT to use 5w oils in the 172 engine...

Hmmm..Read countless threads on oils.... still a bit confused..... im thinking of changing my oil at 6Kmiles in my 172.... What should i use then?

Cheers

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 07 November 2003

id use a fully synthetic 5W-40 personally
Even though there is a Renault tech documnet that says NOT to use 5w oils in the 172 engine...

does it state why ?....

Id be keen to know the reason why. The handbook recommends 10w 40 semi synth/AC3 etc, or better, & surely 5w or 0w 40 fully synth is better?

I have 5 lts of 0w 40 in the boot ready to be used for a change- will I/wont I do it? Ive always thought fully synt is best unless the engine is well worn in which case it will burn/leak more due to the thin viscosity.

Fiesta TDCI

Renault parts told me 15w-40, people are quoting all diferent numbers at me and Im confused. Im reluctant to top up until I know for sure. If its any use its done just over 9k miles.

Stokesey.

Good old Castrol GTX & you cant go wrong. F*ck it thats what Im going to buy. What will they do if it knacks the motor- take DNA to prove I used the wrong oil!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

does it state why ?....
Yeah, but I aint got the doc to hand and cant remember...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Stokesey on 07 November 2003

Renault parts told me 15w-40, people are quoting all diferent numbers at me and Im confused. Im reluctant to top up until I know for sure. If its any use its done just over 9k miles.
Well if its a new(ish) car thats never had an oil change it will be Elf 10W40 semi-synthetic as thats whats put in at the factory...